2017 Corolla SE, hate the 17" rims

Hello All,

I have a 2017 Corolla SE with the stock rims and tires, 17". For a variety of reasons, I am considering going down in size to the 16" rims and tires. I put a lot of miles on a car (35,000 miles/year) and I am considering going with the Michelin Defender in the 16" size. I really can't find a high mileage tire in the stock 17" size I have, and if I do, they are very expensive. I figure the 16" tire with the taller side wall and narrower width will definitely ride much better and be less noisy. AND, the 16" tires are much cheaper than the 17's. And, with all the terrible roads we have around here, a damaged rim is very likely with 45 series tires on it the 17's use.

As far as rims, I am considering either Enkei or Konig.

Just curious about any opinions you all may have on this, especially since most people go UP in tire size instead of going down.

Thanks!

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
I don't see any problems with downsizing your wheels since the Corolla does come with 16" wheels in other trims. Just choose what style wheel you like and and put them on the Michelin tires. You can also sell your old wheels for a good amount of money as well.

I went UP from 15 stock steelies to 16 alloys for my winter set up. In my opinion, 16 fits the car the best. I say go for it.

The high mileage tires don't get as good traction wet or dry because the rubber is harder. Had a set of defenders and hated them ,noisy , lousy ride, and no wet traction. Go with Michelin Premier A/S. I have the 17" and love the ride. the SE suspention is made for that size. You may change your MPG going with a smaller size.Corollas come with 15", 16", and 17" wheel so take your pick.

Look at a 225/45R17 tire size. It's actually the correct diameter and matches the 195/65R15 and 205/55R16 tire sizes. I'm not sure why Toyota uses the wrong 215/45R17 size on the sedan. My iM came with the correct 225/45R17. Be careful when looking at tires that are rated for a long treadle. They have worse traction as the rubber is harder but doesn't handle or brake as well.