2017 LE Interior Rattles?

I bought a new Corolla Sedan this summer and there were little or no rattles for the first few months.
When temperatures cooled in fall the dash started rattling/buzzing most noticeably when the exterior temperature is in the 50s. The rattle/squeak/buzzing happens with general road vibrations on roads that are not perfectly glass smooth, not just from hitting large bumps.
I can stop the biggest rattle by pressing my hand down on the top of the dashboard near the defroster vents.
There is a second less frequent rattle on the left side that's hard to tell if it's coming from the dash or door.

I went to the local dealer and they heard the rattle even though the day I went it wasn't nearly as loud as it normally is. However the service manager said he never heard of a 2017 rattling and that they would need to take the dash off to see if they can figure it out.
I am leery of them acting like they have never heard or seen this issue before and then having them experiment on it disassembling the dash and possibly not get it put back together properly when they finish. It could cause more or worse rattles or become safety hazard during a collision if not reassembled properly.

Are there any common rattles in the current Corolla sedans that dealerships should be familiar with how to fix?
Has anyone had similar rattles fixed on a current Corolla and what did they do?
How difficult is it for a dealership tech to disassemble and reassemble the dashboard on a Corolla sedan?

Radio doesn't cover the rattles because I use the driving time to listen to news and talk radio podcasts. People talking on the radio even at loud volume doesn't make enough white noise to mask all the rattling as music would.

I think they all have rattle issues.
I have a 2014 with less than 14k and it has rattles. Mostly temperature related like you. Right now it’s in the 30’s and 40’s, and all the rattles that I thought I fixed over the summer are returning.
Corolla’s are cheaply made as far as fit and finish goes. But super reliable mechanically.

So, if they can fix it during cold weather, it should be fixed for good. I'm just concerned about them turning this issue into a bigger problem by removing and replacing the dash and them acting like this is a rare problem.
The service manager said the dash in 2017s and newer are made in fewer pieces for the purpose of preventing rattles, but that means they have to remove bigger sections at a time than before which makes it a bigger job.

Okay here's a few ideas: (just conceptual but they may help)

First, newer cars can be intimidating to tear into yourself, with all of the plastic parts and fancy trim everywhere, but ultimately they are made to be disassembled and reassembled with the right tools. Even without an immediate need, like said incessant, undefined rattle, I will probably buy myself a nice set of interior shim/pry tools for when I do have a need. These tools are similar to what the dealers use on new interior trim, because much of it snaps together. (less than $20 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Re...14300586&sr=8-1&keywords=automotive+pry+tools )

Second, I would get on YouTube and look for 2014+ (11th gen) Corolla dash disassembly/radio install videos so you can see someone else take apart the dash. (note where the pry points and fasteners are as they are recessed and hidden) After the first few trim pieces are removed, a lot more of the dash, and some of the inside will be accessible to look at and poke. This same technique could be applied to the door panel as well.

Now, we can fall back on basic tricks many have used for years to weed out problems; try to replicate the rattle by driving around with the first few trim pieces off; see if the sound is more localized, or, try to find the rattle by fishing around with your hand, while driving safely of course. Take the radio out (making sure it will still work if you disconnect and re-connect it), and take another test drive. There are other ways of locating errant rattles though it may be tricky while driving. Use a short piece of rubber hose, like 16", and stick one end to your ear while exploring the dash with the other end; this will help you locate the rattle, if you can finagle it while replicating said rattle.

Don't hurt yourself or break anything. It's not my fault, this is not professional advice. :)

Cheers

Last edited:
A Corolla is a $18k car, not a $40k Lexus.

It will have interior rattles here and there. Turn on your radio. Problem solved.
This is not the first car I have purchased at this price or less and the rattles are worse on this than any other car I have had.
You don't need a Lexus to not have severe rattles.

I already mentioned in the original post that the radio doesn't mask it.

Hi, I'm having the same problem, rattles on dash mine is a 2017 corolla se.
The noise is inside the dash behind the vents I can reproduce it by hitting the top of the dash with my hand, every pothole is a torture I really hate that type of noises.
I tried to get the service manual for this car or good diagrams for the top dash panel (passenger air bag, is right under that panel) but no luck.

They fixed the major rattle in the middle of the dash (that happened every day the temperature was below 60 degrees and was easily repeatable) by installing a "quieting kit."
Now, there is only a more intermittent squeak/buzz coming from the left side of the car that I can't tell if it's coming from the far left dash, the A pillar/tweeter area or if it's coming from the door panel.
It's harder to repeat and isn't very loud, so I won't waste my time trying to get them to fix that one unless I can either find a way to make it happen on demand to demo it or if I can find if this driver's side noise is a known issue with a known fix. The quieting kit for the dash didn't fix the second noise, so that makes me think it may be in the A-pillar or door panel.

I'm glad I at least got the biggest rattle fixed and ignored the "It's not a Lexus" posts since I heard that rattle almost daily and made me want to get rid of the car. I'm already reminded daily that it's not a Lexus based on road noise, but severe rattles are too much for any new car.

I bought the car intending to keep it at least 10 years and getting bad rattles after only 3 months and a couple thousand miles makes me want to get rid of it and start over with a different car from some other manufacturer.

They fixed the major rattle in the middle of the dash (that happened every day the temperature was below 60 degrees and was easily repeatable) by installing a "quieting kit."
Now, there is only a more intermittent squeak/buzz coming from the left side of the car that I can't tell if it's coming from the far left dash, the A pillar/tweeter area or if it's coming from the door panel.
It's harder to repeat and isn't very loud, so I won't waste my time trying to get them to fix that one unless I can either find a way to make it happen on demand to demo it or if I can find if this driver's side noise is a known issue with a known fix. The quieting kit for the dash didn't fix the second noise, so that makes me think it may be in the A-pillar or door panel.

I'm glad I at least got the biggest rattle fixed and ignored the "It's not a Lexus" posts since I heard that rattle almost daily and made me want to get rid of the car. I'm already reminded daily that it's not a Lexus based on road noise, but severe rattles are too much for any new car.

I bought the car intending to keep it at least 10 years and getting bad rattles after only 3 months and a couple thousand miles makes me want to get rid of it and start over with a different car from some other manufacturer.
I'm assuming your car was still under warranty. I'm passed 36k basic warranty and haven't purchased extended so I guess I'll have to live with it. Have been living it with for a while, it probably started at around 10K and I'm at 43K now and the good news is it hasn't gotten any worse. In fact I think it's starting to settle, all the gunk and dust and weather does fill up those gaps with this crap on it's own, you would be amazed. Take apart a 5 years old dash that you've never taken apart, it's not exactly clean. My point is in this situation the tiny dust particles off the HVAC and other areas find their ways int there and hopefully set eliminating some of the rattles. This is just my theory combined with wishful thinking. :)
Last month Chicago was crazy cold and noticed increased rattles, still not bad to the point where I can't live with it. This week Chicago is going through a heat wave. From -4 at night for week or two and single digits during the day to 50F, 47 when I left the house today at 7am and rainy. I honestly wasn't paying attention but I didn't notice any rattles. I'll try to keep an open ear today and monitor as it gets cooler which it obviously will. We're still in Jan in Chicago so the worse might still be ahead but going to my original point, I think whatever rattled, it rattled itself out and set which I'm not complaining about.
The only reason why I didn't get a "quieting kit" is because when this issue first came to surface on this forum, a lot of people started panicking and took their car to the dealer. I guess the dealer applied some adhesive or insulation, who knows but they didn't refer to it as quieting kit. Hopefully what you've got done is some new approach after unsuccessful attempts during initial years, or your dealership just knows what they're doing.

Anyway, keep us updated since if my rattles come back or get worse I may check with my dealership if they offer something like that, how much it is after warranty etc...

I guess it wouldn't hurt to take the dash yourself. "Chris Denton" finds it easy but I'm a woos when it comes to electronics in the car and breaking clips etc. Not sure why since I can disassemble a laptop an put it back together fairly easily. Maybe I just need to get over it and get in there. The fear is, lot's of people have another car, don't drive their car, have a work car, and I drive long distances to work to make that bread so I can't afford to disable my car with my inexperience in dash/electronics work. Luckily I know a couple of guys who work in the industry so if worse came to worse I could reach out to them rather then the dealer. Sorry for a long post but just had my coffee and I'm wired, no pun intended. :)

Hey it only took me four years to pull my radio!
Honestly, I watch way too much YouTube! I typically let others get ahead of me so I don’t break anything.
I’ve been pulling apart cars long before I could drive, long before the internet was a go to.
I used to subscribe to every car magazine available and most of my friends were mechanics.
I belonged to the Mid-Atlantic Camaro Club for about 10 years.
Should have NEVER sold this one:
DDA61F6C-A587-428A-BCFB-7633B42D057F.jpeg
Car clubs are the best for learning! The older members have already done what you seek to do, so they are a wealth of information.

Well last Saturday I had enough I really hate noises, and in my car a rattle (whistle type) noise was locate inside of the dash, I removed the front of dash and the radio.
My problem was located at the air vents pipes (above the radio) they wasn't tight so when car shakes they vibrate n make that F.....g noise.
I just put some insulated foam (I shoved it between the two air vent pipes and the top cover of dashboard).
The noise is completely gone.

Well last Saturday I had enough I really hate noises, and in my car a rattle (whistle type) noise was locate inside of the dash, I removed the front of dash and the radio.
My problem was located at the air vents pipes (above the radio) they wasn't tight so when car shakes they vibrate n make that F.....g noise.
I just put some insulated foam (I shoved it between the two air vent pipes and the top cover of dashboard).
The noise is completely gone.
Don’t know what “air vent pipes” means.

Do you mean windhield defroster vents on to of the dash?

I'm just reading this now, but gotta love this:

I went to the local dealer and they heard the rattle even though the day I went it wasn't nearly as loud as it normally is. However the service manager said he never heard of a 2017 rattling and that they would need to take the dash off to see if they can figure it out.
So they had a "quieting kit" for the rattle that nobody ever heard of. Lovely!

I thought I was the only one to notice how much rattling from this car!!! In my 2017 the grab handles rattle, the dash rattles, the passenger seat rattles, and the worst of all, that really annoy me, is a rattle inside the headliner right on top of my head. When it rattles, i touch the headliner and the noise goes away. It really bothers me. My old crappy Chevy Aveo had better interior quality but worst reliability! Why Toyota has allowed their cars to get so cheaply made and noisy?

So they had a "quieting kit" for the rattle that nobody ever heard of. Lovely!
Yeah... In all probability some generic foam tape here and there ! :)
I thought I was the only one to notice how much rattling from this car!!!
Many report this on forums, although your case seems extreme ! I wonder if it has to do with assembly plant (or moment). Mine is from Cambridge (Canada) and I do experience some rattling, but only fort short periods when material expand (heat on if it's cold, AC on if it's hot). Once the inside temp settles, not rattles !

I just noticed some rattling on my '17 today in the pillar. Seems odd around there. My '11 that I recently totaled with 96k miles did not rattle at all.

My 2017 Corolla LE also has multiple loud dash rattles which began at about 10k. It's attractive, well designed, fuel efficient, and reliable but these annoying dash rattles drive me crazy. It's my third and probably last toyota product as all had major dash rattles. Our 17 year old dodge truck, 7 year old Jeep Patriot, and 10 year old grand caravan had zero dash rattles - why is Toyota's assembly work so sloppy? The 2017 corolla has already dropped 3 screws from the dash and I cannot see where they go.....Perhaps I should never have traded in the Patriot....

My 2017 Corolla LE also has multiple loud dash rattles which began at about 10k. It's attractive, well designed, fuel efficient, and reliable but these annoying dash rattles drive me crazy. It's my third and probably last toyota product as all had major dash rattles. Our 17 year old dodge truck, 7 year old Jeep Patriot, and 10 year old grand caravan had zero dash rattles - why is Toyota's assembly work so sloppy? The 2017 corolla has already dropped 3 screws from the dash and I cannot see where they go.....Perhaps I should never have traded in the Patriot....
Where was your car made??

I have dealt with way too many unreliable GMs and Fords in the past. I am so happy with the reliability and fuel economy of my Toyota Corolla that I put up with the rattling interior.

I've found that a lot of the dash noise is related to the plastic ducting for the ventilation system. Unfortunately, you need to tear into the dash to find it. I used pieces of foam pipe insulation and sandwich it between the suspect area's. It's been a year now through both temperature extremes and it still seems to be working. The worst noise was the duct in the upper right corner above the glove box. Most of the other noises were typical plastic to plastics squeaks which were solved with pieces of adhesive backed felt (door panels, shift console, etc.). A lot of this is hit and miss. Identifying the exact location of a suspect noise can be the biggest challenge.

My last 2 corollas were made in Cambridge Ontario.
Yes they are super - reliable, and even though screws are dropping out of the dash, causing it to rattle even more, everything still works.