2019 Corolla LE backup camera has poor resolution

The resolution on my brand new corolla backup camera is horrible! It’s often grainy or has a bad glare and at night, it’s pretty much useless. I can somewhat make out objects but the quality is so poor I just end up using my mirrors. Guess I just expected better resolution from a brand new vehicle, especially a Toyota

Attachments

delrey

Reduce the brightness in the screen settings. There is a separate setting for the camera. I brought it down all the way and it help a lot.

The resolution on my brand new corolla backup camera is horrible! It’s often grainy or has a bad glare and at night, it’s pretty much useless. I can somewhat make out objects but the quality is so poor I just end up using my mirrors. Guess I just expected better resolution from a brand new vehicle, especially a Toyota
Ditto my 2018! I just sold a 9 year old Prius for this car and I was horrified with the poor performance of the Corolla backup camera. I tried playing with the camera settings but nothing cured a bad image. It's seriously like going back 9 years in cellphone cameras. Unbelievable. I wish they had used the Prius 9 years older, but far superior, camera system.

delrey

I had to bring the contrast and brightness all the way down on the camera for it to be acceptable. It's still slightly bright but this still depends on the environment. As you can see, I have snow in this view so it appears bright. About 98% of the time the camera is functional since I updated the settings. Try changing the settings and see how you like it.

As for the resolution, it's low but it's acceptable for what you need the camera to do. Such as checking for anything directly behind you and guide you between parking lines.

See attached and ignore my previous post. Had issues....

Attachments

I thought the same thing. I turned the brightness and contrast all the way down as well. I plan on replacing the radio with a Pioneer NEX unit from my old '03 Corolla S. That should help.

I replaced my head unit and the resolution is much better, so it must be the cheap radio screen.

Attachments

That is how my screen looks if I`m backing up in the pitch black at my night job at work. If I leave when the parking lot lights are still on the view is ok.

I've got a 2020 Corolla, and the resolution isn't that good. The night mode works really well, but talk about grainy! Now, I've never used another back up camera, so I don't know what to compare it to. Seems like my go pro would be better.

I had such problems. It depends more on the camera than on the electrics of the car. You can read reviews on this technique - https://cameravs.com/ There may be options with different margins of safety. A couple of times I myself had to connect a digital camera to the review, but it's long and dreary

fishycomics

Super Moderator
the 2020 I own, camera works as described. Day & nite, no issues. When backing into my garage, I have that moment where it wants to change over and then I can not see but I am already finishing my move. the resolution or DPI of ht touchscreen, the resolution of the camera both got some play. I went to the Info system. well, I have to play with it to find that camera setting, something I can not find at the moment, but can figure out.

the lines red is your final line go into the Red you will be on your bumper, the sides , and other lines are parameters and distances. to easy to say SIDE left, side right 3 ft, 4 ft. people like to read, people like to play, your option, not mine.