2020 2.0L -- MPG check

I'm still on my first tank of gas, with about 280 miles on the odometer. Most of those miles were rural roads at 25-45 MPH. I'm driving a 6-speed SE/2.0L. EPA rating is 29/36/32. According to the instrument cluster I'm averaging 37.2 MPG.

On the other hand, the infotainment ECO 'History' page shows that the 'Latest' MPG is 32.8. That's a pretty large discrepancy, and the owner's manual doesn't bother explaining what 'Latest' means (since last refuel? since the start of the last trip? since the last time it was cleared?). By the way, this seems like a good time to point out that the people who wrote the manual should definitely quit their day jobs.

I'll get a better idea of the actual MPG once I refuel...though that assumes the dealer filled it up to full. Maybe after the 2nd refuel.

Just wondering what other folks are getting for MPG in the 2019 hatch or 2020 2.0L.

Not sure about the 12th gen, but I'd assume that "latest" is equivalent to "average" (in history tab) of the 11th gen which gives you an estimate since last "reset" (or "clip"). It will vary from "average" (not in history tab) depending on what kind of driving conditions were encountered since reset/clip. For instance, if you reset (clip) it while in urban circulation, this new average ("latest") will indeed be lower. I guess they now use "latest" in history, to avoid (with more or less clarity...) having two "average" like in the 11th gen: one for current, and one for history (since last reset).

Also, just a note, but remember that EPA ratings are in no way a reflections of real-life performance as this will vary considerably. They are rather a way to compare models, as they are all tested in the same ideal lab conditions (hence the trend toward small turbo engines, that have a lab/theoretical advantage in testing, not so in real life...). And car computers have some discrepancy in the first place. Calculating manually from fill-up to fill-up is the way to go for precision.

Hi @jolly and thanks for the reply. Indeed the History page on the 12th gen uses the the same "clip" terminology to mean "reset the Latest". I think with a combination of common sense plus your explanation (but no thanks to the lousy owner's manual wording), I can infer that 'Latest' simply means "average since the last time Clip" was pressed/or since the car was new if it was never pressed.

So I just checked, and and 'Total average' MPG in the instrument cluster does match the "Latest" MPG on the History page. Both say 34.0 MPG (the 32.8 was out of date apparently). Since nobody has ever selected "Clip" in this car, that makes sense. The discrepancy between "Total" (34.0) and "Tank" (37.2), plus some math tells me that the car got 22.4 MPG in the ~30-ish miles put on the ODO before we took delivery. I guess nobody who test drove it was a hypermiler. :D

Yes, I realize the EPA estimates don't reflect real-world usage. In my case I hope/expect we'll greatly exceed the estimates. With 37.2 MPG on the current / first full tank, and 40.1 on the last trip, I think we'll probably end up hovering around 40 MPG with our usage patterns. We'll see how the cold weather (and winter tires) affects things though.

Filled up for the first time yesterday, but I can't say what the MPG is. Two reasons: I don't know how close to full the dealer filled the tank at delivery, and more annoyingly, I don't know how many miles were on the tank. Apparently as soon as you start up the car after refilling, the trip mileage counter resets automatically. I'll have to make a note of that and remember the number prior to filling up next time. The computer indicated 37.2 MPG, but I don't know how accurate that is yet.

Another thing I noticed is that it was hard to get the fuel pump to keep running. The neck of the tank opening didn't let the nozzle go in very far, and that caused the pump to keep shutting off. Even if I held the pump handle, I had to hold it up at an angle or it would keep shutting off. I hope I can figure this out before I have to start filling up in the cold this winter. :eek:

as soon as you start up the car after refilling, the trip mileage counter resets automatically.
I don't know specifically for the 2020 Corolla, but in other cars that do this, it's a configurable setting somewhere (after filling, reset A or B or A+B)
that caused the pump to keep shutting off.
Never force it, as there is a risk of flooding the canister. Now, if you mean that it did that in the first place - even with the tank empty - that's would be something to check as it sounds odd.

I don't know specifically for the 2020 Corolla, but in other cars that do this, it's a configurable setting somewhere (after filling, reset A or B or A+B)
I haven't found anything in the instrument cluster about this yet, and the owner's manual is (of course) not very clear. It does refer to an A/B trip meter -- oddly with the exact same information repeated on pages 78 and 83 -- but I'll have to take a closer look when I'm sitting in the car.

Never force it, as there is a risk of flooding the canister. Now, if you mean that it did that in the first place - even with the tank empty - that's would be something to check as it sounds odd.
Yeah, the pump kept shutting off right away when I started refueling. Eventually by repositioning the nozzle several times I was able to get it to fill automatically for a while, but only with the pump handle set at a slow fill rate. Hopefully it's just a matter of getting used to it, but I've never had this much of an issue refueling a car in my life.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Sorry for the Late reply:

Our gas is spot on we are City traffic no open highway where you go 5 hours at a clip non-stop, that is where the mpg shine, we are a 50MPH zone that if you can hold the pedal for 3 seconds you are cruising Lol.

we got over 30MPG just personally did not measure after the frst few tanks. Now we are off the first Oil change, that is where we'll se the Mileage as well the Ethel being added for winter?

when I am back in the car I'll try to remember . knowing we are above 30 under 40

I'm about 1 month into my ownership of a super-white 2020 Corolla SE Sedan, 6-speed manual. For my first tank of gas I measured via both the car's system & manually. After my first week of driving, the reset computer indicated I was averaging 42.2 MPG. My manual calculations had me averaging 41.83 MPG. The cars computer now has me averaging 42.6 MPG as of the first month of driving. Most of these miles are in 6th gear driving unhindered to & from work at 65-69 MPH (60 mile round trip). The rest is basic low-congestion suburban driving to reach HW for drive to work, or just running errands around town on the weekend. I plan to start working from home 4 days per week soon, so my car will only be driven on Wednesday for work commute & on weekends for various errands. I live in southern Arizona, where everything is mostly flat, dry & hot. My A/C is on all the time, except in the winter months when I go just use fresh vent air. I never have to use my heater at all.

Thanks for the report, @Raithskar ! It's especially interesting to hear from other 2.0 6-speed owners. ~42 MPG is great -- nice job beating the EPA highway figure by ~17%. Especially with the A/C on constantly. Do you use the Eco mode on the A/C? Do you employ any hypermiling techniques?

It will also be interesting to see if the computer continues to be that accurate in measuring MPG. Your numbers indicate it's less than 1% optimisic. Very impressive!

Sorry for the Late reply:

Our gas is spot on we are City traffic no open highway where you go 5 hours at a clip non-stop, that is where the mpg shine, we are a 50MPH zone that if you can hold the pedal for 3 seconds you are cruising Lol.

we got over 30MPG just personally did not measure after the frst few tanks. Now we are off the first Oil change, that is where we'll se the Mileage as well the Ethel being added for winter?

when I am back in the car I'll try to remember . knowing we are above 30 under 40
Are you saying you are getting over 30MPG for driving in stop and go traffic??? I know you live in NYC and I know NYC streets. I work in Times Square but live right across the Hudson in Jersey in West New York NJ, and all my driving is city where as it's stop and go and lucky if I can drive 40MPH for 10 seconds and i'm getting 17MPG. I haven't been too happy about it. Most driving is 25MPH and I'm not a lead foot by all means. I purposely babied the crap out of her to see if my MPG would improve but didn't.

So my initial tank of gas came out to 36.3 MPG, but I don't know how accurate that was since I don't know how much gas the dealer put in the tank.

The next tank of gas came out to 40.5, and the computer indicated 41.0. The computer was only 1.2% optimistic, which I"m really happy with. Obviously my next goal is to beat 40.5 MPG on the current tank. :)

Thanks for the report, @Raithskar ! It's especially interesting to hear from other 2.0 6-speed owners. ~42 MPG is great -- nice job beating the EPA highway figure by ~17%. Especially with the A/C on constantly. Do you use the Eco mode on the A/C? Do you employ any hypermiling techniques?

It will also be interesting to see if the computer continues to be that accurate in measuring MPG. Your numbers indicate it's less than 1% optimisic. Very impressive!
I've played with eco A/C mode a bit, & have had it on mostly for first month of driving. It seems to just run the fan 1 notch lower than with it off from what I can tell up-front. Not sure what else it may be doing in the background.

I don't consciously hyper-mile, but I do have laid-back driving habits most of the time & do take foot off gas & coast to red lights when I see them coming up, so hopefully they will turn green & I won't have to fully stop or drop lower than 2nd gear. I also drive the speed limit or up to 5 over max usually.

I do find it interesting that I can hit pretty much the exact same MPG as what I was getting in my 5-speed manual 2015 Yaris SE hatchback, despite the Corolla being 800 pounds heavier & having 63 more horsepower. Newer engine design & 6 gears instead of 5 I guess. My Yaris at 65-70 MPH in 5th was running about +500 RPM hotter than Corolla does in 6th gear at those speeds.

I'm still on my first tank of gas, with about 280 miles on the odometer. Most of those miles were rural roads at 25-45 MPH. I'm driving a 6-speed SE/2.0L. EPA rating is 29/36/32. According to the instrument cluster I'm averaging 37.2 MPG.

On the other hand, the infotainment ECO 'History' page shows that the 'Latest' MPG is 32.8. That's a pretty large discrepancy, and the owner's manual doesn't bother explaining what 'Latest' means (since last refuel? since the start of the last trip? since the last time it was cleared?). By the way, this seems like a good time to point out that the people who wrote the manual should definitely quit their day jobs.

I'll get a better idea of the actual MPG once I refuel...though that assumes the dealer filled it up to full. Maybe after the 2nd refuel.

Just wondering what other folks are getting for MPG in the 2019 hatch or 2020 2.0L.
I live in Canada and just bought a new 2020 Corolla se 6spd. I bought it 4 hrs away from home here so did check the fuel mileage when I got bach home here. It worked out to be 45 miles to the gallon, average highway speed was 120 klm an hour. So was thrilled with this mileage. I am not happy with the engine noise in the morning when starting it cold though. Lots of clatter and rattle in the engine till it gets oil pressure.

Calculating by hand:

Tank #1: 36.3
Tank #2: 40.5
Tank #3: 36.5

Through just over 1,000 miles, the trip computer is about 1.7% optimistic. I tend to get in the low 40's when I'm driving, and my wife gets in the mid-30's.