2020 Corolla SE Sedan City MPG

Hello all,

New member here. Came from Tundra forum but sold my 2018 Tundra and got me my Corolla. I live in a city where there is constant stop and go traffic and rarely go over 45MPH well since, traffic wont allow it. Anyway, I bought the car for its MPG City/Highway and I have had my car since June 22, 2019. For city driving, I am only averaging 16MPG and that's being easy on her. I'm not a lead foot in any way shape or form and don't slam on the brakes all the time. I even calculated the MPG from a full tank of gas (not depending on the digital MPG average on the dash) and I still get 16MPG.

This is insane compared to the window sticker that says 31 city. I can see maybe getting 26 or 27 because whats rated for any car is not really all that accurate but 16MPG shouldn't be, especially with a 4 cylinder engine.

Anyone else who lives in a congested city experience the same?

Also, when I'm coming to a stop and let go of the gas, the transmission seems to do like a downshift or something. I feel the car drag forward for a couple of seconds then it releases and then the car coasts normally before applying the brakes. Never experienced this before in all my previous vehicles.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron.

Hey I got my 2020 SE about 2 months ago as well. I don't live in a congested city so its hard to comment on the mpg but 16 seems incredibly low. I get about 34 in the city because I often reach highway speeds. Honestly, if you drive in a congested city for your main commute you probably should have gotten the hybrid.... The SE model is spirited more towards people are going to drive faster in more open space, because it has a fantastic suspension.

About the transmission downshifting, yes I was perplexed by this as well, it is highly annoying because it creates a ton of jerkyness at low speeds in an otherwise incredibly smooth car and makes it not smooth. It is because the CVT is shifting downward to the launch (1st) gear as it is slowing down to about 15-10 mph so that it can roll forward in the launch gear. The computer timing of the shift is incredibly annoying... Usually it will shift to the launch gear as you let go of the brake so it can continue to lurch forward, but when you let go of the brake the car perks up then the downshift makes it sort of engine brake, slowing it down again just right after you let go of the brake.... creating a lot of jerking at those speeds.... Honestly I should have test driven this car a lot more, but I have a lot of trust in toyota so I kind of just didnt. I ended up going with the automatic because I was going to share the car with my parents rarely, but sometimes for the MPG. But If I could do it again I would go the manual, then it would be perfect. You would think that they would have added automatic rev matching upon shifting from CVT to the launch gear to make it a smoother transition. Other than the annoying transmission at lower speeds it is a GREAT car. Im still learning about driving the car. There may be a way to drive it by manipulating the gas pedal and braking to make it not jerky around at the lower speeds.

Hope this helps ya out

Last edited:
Hey I got my 2020 SE about 2 months ago as well. I don't live in a congested city so its hard to comment on the mpg but 16 seems incredibly low. I get about 34 in the city because I often reach highway speeds. Honestly, if you drive in a congested city for your main commute you probably should have gotten the hybrid.... The SE model is spirited more towards people are going to drive faster in more open space, because it has a fantastic suspension.

About the transmission downshifting, yes I was perplexed by this as well, it is highly annoying because it creates a ton of jerkyness at low speeds in an otherwise incredibly smooth car and makes it not smooth. It is because the CVT is shifting downward to the launch (1st) gear as it is slowing down to about 15-10 mph so that it can roll forward in the launch gear. The computer timing of the shift is incredibly annoying... Usually it will shift to the launch gear as you let go of the brake so it can continue to lurch forward, but when you let go of the brake the car perks up then the downshift makes it sort of engine brake, slowing it down again just right after you let go of the brake.... creating a lot of jerking at those speeds.... Honestly I should have test driven this car a lot more, but I have a lot of trust in toyota so I kind of just didnt. I ended up going with the automatic because I was going to share the car with my parents rarely, but sometimes for the MPG. But If I could do it again I would go the manual, then it would be perfect. You would think that they would have added automatic rev matching upon shifting from CVT to the launch gear to make it a smoother transition. Other than the annoying transmission at lower speeds it is a GREAT car. Im still learning about driving the car. There may be a way to drive it by manipulating the gas pedal and braking to make it not jerky around at the lower speeds.

Hope this helps ya out
I'm still going to watch my MPG for city driving because city driving is stop and go traffic and it should be getting close to what its rated. I'm not even driving the car on a daily basis for as I work in the city and take mass transit. But still...it does A LOT better than my Tundra where I was averaging 6MPG city.....yes, you read that correct...SIX which was one of the reasons why I got rid of it. You mentioned you have automatic, I have automatic as well. Yes, the downshift is really weird, never had that before but then again, it's my first CVT Trans. I did a lot of reading about CVT's before I got my Corolla and learned that Toyota is the only company that builds their own CVT's and claimed to be reliable so I said OK, I'll get the Corolla with the CVT.

As I said, I will watch the MPG and give it another month then call Toyota if I have to.

Thanks for your reply.

it should be getting close to what its rated
16 city is quite low indeed. I don't have an explanation except "mpg will vary" and have it checked if needed. But I just want to point out that EPA ratings are useful to compare models, but are in no way a warranty of what one will get in real life. Some will do worst, some will do better. For instance, you mention 6 mpg with your Tundra, which is rated at 16 city. The difference seems consistent with what you report from your Corolla. So maybe it has to do with the conditions you encounter. EPA city testing involve a 30 min with quite regular stop and go at 30 to 50 mph. If your "stop" are longer, with longer idling, that would affect your result. Sorry I can't help more.

Toyota is the only company that builds their own CVT's
Yes and no. Toyota's CVTs are from Aisin, but they own the company. The same could be said of Nissan's, getting theirs from Jatco, that they own. Both also produce for various brands.