2020 Toyota Corolla se

Hi everybody, I just bought a new corolla se 2.0 liter engine 6spd manual. This morning is -4 and the windows are frosted so started the engine and hear loud rattle noise coming from the engine for about 3-5 seconds. Sounds like no oil pressure. I used the car again through the day and no noise. Is this normal for a new car to have this rattle when starting in the morning ? I bought the car here in Canada about 4 hrs drive from home here. I didn't notice this noise at the dealership but it had been run before I got there. Any help would be appreciated.

This isn't an authoritative answer, but I believe a metallic rattle is a characteristic of this engine when cold. I hear something similar on startup, though it's not particularly loud. Maybe it's louder in the cold for some reason?

I found a youtube analysis of the mechanical systems in the new Corolla. According to the narrator, the clacking sound here is the direct fuel-injection pump:

Does that sound similar to what you heard? I notice it mostly when first starting the car, and probably at idle now that I think of it.

Thanks for the reply, did watch the whole video. The noise I hear is fairly loud clatter kinda like there is no oil pressure when starting first time in the morning, it then gets a little quieter and I can hear the fuel injectors rattle for a few more seconds and then they quiet right down and no more noise.
I only have 420 kms on this car and am concerned about this. Ounce this noise has gone and I use the car again the same day there are no more clatter through the day any time I start the car. Winter is coming so that might change ? Last time I heard this kind of noise was on my old 2007 caravan with a 3.1 liter v6 at -35 degrees and not plugged in.

Betzy

Hi everybody, I just bought a new corolla se 2.0 liter engine 6spd manual. This morning is -4 and the windows are frosted so started the engine and hear loud rattle noise coming from the engine for about 3-5 seconds. Sounds like no oil pressure. I used the car again through the day and no noise. Is this normal for a new car to have this rattle when starting in the morning ? I bought the car here in Canada about 4 hrs drive from home here. I didn't notice this noise at the dealership but it had been run before I got there. Any help would be appreciated.
Gotcha. I would call the dealer and ask to explain the issue you just described and for sure document their response.
It is probably nothing but peace of mind!
Welcome to the forum hope to hear the noise is gone and you are loving this model.
♡ Betz

Attachments

Gotcha. I would call the dealer and ask to explain the issue you just described and for sure document their response.
It is probably nothing but peace of mind!
Welcome to the forum hope to hear the noise is gone and you are loving this model.
♡ Betz
Hi Betzy.
Thanks for your input. I did take it to the dealership and let the service manager listen to the video of the noise, he said they are basically using oil as thin as water in there engines and says this is normal when you start it up after it been sitting for a while. All the oil runs back to the bottom of the engine while sitting and then has to be pumped back up into the top of the engine when started, during this time the engine is noisy until the oil pressure builds up. I just found this odd as I have had other new vehicles and none of them seem to make this much noise but they were not the same engine as the Corolla that I now have. Will see when it gets colder here how much more noise it is going to make in the mornings. I really like this car, it is smooth riding, quiet and the 6spd transmission shifts very smooth. All in all I am very happy with the car other then the noise it makes in the morning, but if normal I can adapt to the noise. Take care.

Based on what I have read around on the internet, it is an annoying characteristic of the engine in cold-weather/freezing environments. I live in Phoenix, AZ, where it never gets very cold, & have never yet heard anything like that from my 2020 Corolla SE sedan 6-MT. Hopefully, it doesn't cause any issues with the engine long-term when it has to regularly start like that in those environments.

Betzy

Hi Betzy.
Thanks for your input. I did take it to the dealership and let the service manager listen to the video of the noise, he said they are basically using oil as thin as water in there engines and says this is normal when you start it up after it been sitting for a while. All the oil runs back to the bottom of the engine while sitting and then has to be pumped back up into the top of the engine when started, during this time the engine is noisy until the oil pressure builds up. I just found this odd as I have had other new vehicles and none of them seem to make this much noise but they were not the same engine as the Corolla that I now have. Will see when it gets colder here how much more noise it is going to make in the mornings. I really like this car, it is smooth riding, quiet and the 6spd transmission shifts very smooth. All in all I am very happy with the car other then the noise it makes in the morning, but if normal I can adapt to the noise. Take care.
:):);)
Hi Betzy.
;) Okay, sounds like you are a bit more reassured. Good luck. About this and any other concerns, you've done what most of us forum girls do... watch youtubes of others with same make and model and their suggestions plus great tips or hacks.
Betz

Attachments

Based on what I have read around on the internet, it is an annoying characteristic of the engine in cold-weather/freezing environments. I live in Phoenix, AZ, where it never gets very cold, & have never yet heard anything like that from my 2020 Corolla SE sedan 6-MT. Hopefully, it doesn't cause any issues with the engine long-term when it has to regularly start like that in those environments.
Will see what happens when it gets colder out as we are starting to cool down for the winter. Yes it is annoying when first started in the morning. I just haven't ever heard this kind of noise from a new car before. Thanks for your input.

:):);)

;) Okay, sounds like you are a bit more reassured. Good luck. About this and any other concerns, you've done what most of us forum girls do... watch youtubes of others with same make and model and their suggestions plus great tips or hacks.
Betz
Am some what a little more relaxed about the noise, but as you know we are heading into winter and I am hoping this doesn't get any noisier then it is. I think I have spent my days off work trying to find information on the internet but not able to find anything as the car is new and no complaints have made there way onto the internet yet. Nice chatting with you. Take care.

hello Gary and welcome to the forum. I am new here myself. I am no mechanic but my first thought was this-does your car have conventional oil in it? when I first got my previous corolla (2005) I began trying out different brands of oil and conventional and full synthetic. right now I have a 2019 hatchback that has the same engine as your car does and the visciotiy for the recommended oil is OW-16 (gone are the days of 5W-30 or 10W30 it seems) anyway, in my oil experimentation I did notice that my car started up a whole lot easier with the full synthetic. I live in Minnesota where we are subject to frigid temps in the winter. My car started and ran just fine even with having to sit outside while I was at work for 9hrs or so with -40 to-50 windchills. so my thought is this-take the car into the dealer or a trusted garage and have them change the oil and put in a name brand full synthetic in the correct visciocity. synthetic oil is known for flowing at a much faster rate than conventional and as such the car is easier to start in the winter months. this may or may not correct your problem but it would be a relatively cheap fix if it works. i had finally settled upon valvoline full synthetic for my 2005 and had many oil changes using that oil. and will be switching my hatch over to this as well.

hello Gary and welcome to the forum. I am new here myself. I am no mechanic but my first thought was this-does your car have conventional oil in it? when I first got my previous corolla (2005) I began trying out different brands of oil and conventional and full synthetic. right now I have a 2019 hatchback that has the same engine as your car does and the visciotiy for the recommended oil is OW-16 (gone are the days of 5W-30 or 10W30 it seems) anyway, in my oil experimentation I did notice that my car started up a whole lot easier with the full synthetic. I live in Minnesota where we are subject to frigid temps in the winter. My car started and ran just fine even with having to sit outside while I was at work for 9hrs or so with -40 to-50 windchills. so my thought is this-take the car into the dealer or a trusted garage and have them change the oil and put in a good quality name brand full synthetic. this may or may not fix the problem but would be a relatively cheap fix if it works. for my 2005 corolla I settled upon valvolvine full synthetic and had many oil changes using that brand. will be switching my hatch over to that brand as well.