90,000 Miles Service and "Check Engine" Light

ron

Dear all,

I own a 2003 Toyota Corolla with 85,000 miles on it. I'd like to schedule a 90,000 mile service with my Toyota dealer but before doing that I wanted to know whether this is the most appropriate way of going about doing this service. Can I do the same service elsewhere for a cheaper price? Is there an advantage in doing the service with the dealer as opposed to a less expensive auto repair shop?

The type of things the Toyota dealer would do on the car involves lots of inspection and a few other services such as oil change, tire rotation and balance, change of spark plugs, change of wiper blades, etc. The estimate that the dealer has given me here in the northeast of the US states that the total cost is $546 out of which $272 is labor and $222 part.

I wonder what your experience has been with servicing your car at the Toyota dealer as opposed to some other places. Do you recommend going to the dealer?

I should also add that today the check engine light came on for the second time in two months. It initially came on two months ago while driving on the highway. At that time, I took the car to my local repairman and asked him to reset the computer in the car. That he did and so the light went off. But he told me that if the light came on again, I should consider that there may be something wrong with the car and do a diagnostic on the car.

What has been your experience with the check engine light? Does it mean anything?

Appreciatively,

Ron

The engine light on for a long time is shown there is something wrong woth you car,generally it will be shown the fault code when diagnostic with the tool.Sometimes it is may come wrong signal,so you should turn off the light and if it came on you need to note it and read the fault code with professional diagnostic tool.

Last edited by a moderator: