93 Prizm Eating Driver Side CV Axles

My 93 Prizm continues to have binding/popping CV axles and vibration that I'm having trouble figuring out and hope to have some success with thanks to the good people here. I've replaced the driver side axle 3 times at this point. After having a pull out failure on the first axle I discovered 2 broken motor mounts and replaced them before putting another axle back in. The clunking continued to get worse so I had an alignment done and then the clunking did not reappear until above 25mph in right hand turns only. I replaced the drivers side CV again and It was totally smooth for a few hundred miles and then started to clunk again. I've noticed some play at the inner point of the axle where it is inserted into the transaxle that is not related to the CV joints themselves but a little forum searching says that could be normal. The alignment shop doesn't see anything wrong at this point but I haven't had the frame itself measured yet. I do know it had a front end collision once in it's life but the alignment shop is suggesting it to potentially be a problem with the transaxle and I'm hoping someone here can do a sanity check here because once the tranny goes the car isn't worth much anymore in it's high mileage condition. How might someone check the transaxle to rule out that being the problem before getting it onto a frame rack? Or alternately, would you check something else? Thanks again.