'97 Corolla - Help Winter is Coming.

Hi I just got a 97 corolla in august,

I needed some body work and recently a new power steering hose do to ahole which i have located, a new fuel filler neck do to rust holes. also just yesterday it would not start, thinking it is a fuse or weak connection somewhere as the starter worked when power was given to it manually.

I do not know the previous history of the car but the car has 160km on it now.

The winter is coming and if you know Canada's winters then you know it can be harsh on vehicles, especially older ones. I'm looking for a guide or tips on winter preparedness of my vehicle. I doubt any fluid flushes have been done ever or in quite some times. I plan on getting a wheel alignment as well as tire rotation shortly as well as plan to do an oil change in 1000km.

Also I have permit parking to park on the street, and the weather hits it hard there, I'm nervous of rusting and would like to get another 40000km on the vehicle.

Pull the sill plates and see if there are access holes to the insides of the rockers.
If there are hose down the inside with oil. Either go buy some gun lube or just thin old 30wt with some kerosene and get a bunch in there.

In the trunk pull the carpet and hose inside the wheel lips where you can. These are the worst rust areas.

I know a guy who heats chainsaw bar oil and puts it in a pressure gun and does this. He did my crown Vic two years ago when it came up from SC and it's rust free all under it.

Get some spray on bed liner or undercoat and do the underside of the wheel wells and fenders to keep stones from exposing bare metal.

Make sure your antifreeze mix is right for your climate and fix all the stuff you need to under the car 1st. It sucks wrenching under the hood. it's 100x worse laying in snow

Pull the sill plates and see if there are access holes to the insides of the rockers.
If there are hose down the inside with oil. Either go buy some gun lube or just thin old 30wt with some kerosene and get a bunch in there.

In the trunk pull the carpet and hose inside the wheel lips where you can. These are the worst rust areas.

I know a guy who heats chainsaw bar oil and puts it in a pressure gun and does this. He did my crown Vic two years ago when it came up from SC and it's rust free all under it.

Get some spray on bed liner or undercoat and do the underside of the wheel wells and fenders to keep stones from exposing bare metal.

Make sure your antifreeze mix is right for your climate and fix all the stuff you need to under the car 1st. It sucks wrenching under the hood. it's 100x worse laying in snow
thanks so much for the suggestions , helps a lot.