97 corrola speedo quit

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Toyota Corolla' started by philrmech, Feb 25, 2017.

1. philrmech

philrmech New Member

I bought a used 97 corolla yesterday.Today I was just driving along speedometer stopped working.Car has 166000 miles.How do you troublehoot this.I don't have a book or anything. Give me some info please. thanks philrmech

2. Corolla Forum Sign Up!

Join CorollaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota Corolla fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Corolla and Matrix Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Toyota, and have a great time with other Corolla fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Toyota you'll find that Corolla Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join CorollaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Johnrodriguez123

Johnrodriguez123 New Member

It's common and it's the gauge cluster

4. Jimbo777

Jimbo777 New Member

Remove the two self tapping screws at the top underside of the speedo dashboard bezel and reve bezel.

Remove the 3 same size self tapping screws yo can now see. One at the top in the middle and two at the bottom underside the rev counter and speedo cluster.

Gently lift out the cluster and gently remove the two multi pin plus you can now see.

Spray the plugs and sockets with Electrolube

Replace and test! It worked for me and dashboard lighting was brighter

5. mr2bub

mr2bub New Member

if that doesn't work, I have a cluster from a 93 DX manual trans for sale- 133kMiles on the odometer.