A Bit of Lag From About 3.5 to 4.5 RPM

E92

I think it's external to the engine. Pretty sure it is. Anyone have a good guess on where to start? TVIS? Which I'm not sure what I would even do with that if it is the TVIS. EGR? Something to do with air or fuel I think...

Obviously, a tune-up if you haven't done so in a while.

After that, I would check the ignition system. Check the plug wires and resistance check the ignition coil.

A vacuum leak would cause issues all across the board. Issues that surface in the upper RPM range tend to fall on ignition issues. EGR is dis-engaged on wide open throttle, so if you suspect an EGR, you would see if the lag is there on partial throttle versus wide open, but again, an EGR issue would show problems all across the RPM range once the engine warmed up.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
I think it's external to the engine. Pretty sure it is. Anyone have a good guess on where to start? TVIS? Which I'm not sure what I would even do with that if it is the TVIS. EGR? Something to do with air or fuel I think...
What year and engine are you referring to? How many miles are on it? Did this problem suddenly occur or was it related to something else? Does the problem occur all the time or only when the engine is hot, or only when the engine is cold?

Information. :thumbsup:

E92

The engine is 4AGE red top 115 hp from the 1988 Corolla GTS. It's fuel injected. I don't think it's the EGR if what was said is true. Before and after tune up it should be there.

The engine maybe has ....40,000 miles? I have to look at my records but the head was rebuilt a long time ago. I recently rebuilt the head after changing the head gasket and I'm pretty sure everything in there is fine. I don't drive it often so it's a little foggy. The problem is always there even when it's cold.

It feels a lot like when this one time a long time ago when I changed to a 4-1 header and intake and I suddenly had lag around that RPM range. The problem didn't occur suddenly, I think it does start to get better after it warms up but right now I can't say in detail too much about those kinds of details because I don't drive it much and not for very long (stickers, the car is at another house that I don't visit often).

It's almost as if it's always been there in differing degrees after I changed the header the very first time. Right now it sounds like I should start checking the ignition systems, since the problem is definitely not across the powerband.

E92

right now I think it feels worse than before because I drive it seldomly so the engine is very cold... even with the current hot weather. Like if I drove it everyday, I'm pretty sure it's not going to be there as much, probably wouldn't notice it.

E92

It's hard to work now because it's getting hot in Dallas. But I hope to find something as I'm hoping to try this car on the track, and of course just to learn more. I will find this post and update, when I find out what's the deal.

E92

Well I guess technically it's a parking lot with cones... I'm not sure. But it's a local spot where I can run it on a autocross course. Right now the motor is back to stock... I had webcams in there, but I want bigger ones. After I change the flywheel and tighten my sway bar I'll try it and see what happens.

It's actually front wheel drive. From 1988 they started to make them FWD.

here's an older picture of it... the recent ones are not accessible where I'm at.