A/C Climate Condensate - Check

Hello to all,

I'm an owner of corolla 2002 hatchback 2.0 D4D. I have bought this car recently and never drive toyota before. Overall I'm very satisfied with the car.
Yesterday, for the first time I drove it for a few hours (total distance cca 400 km). Outside temp was about 30C and I turned ON the A/C. After finishing driving, after cca 30 mins. I noticed a water below the car (I think it was water). Naturally I thought that this is condensate from A/C, but it was strange that dripping was present even after half an hour after I turned off the engine. Drops intervals were cca 5 sec. I didn't have similar experience before and don't know if this is normal. My friend that is long time driver told me that it is normal dripping to last up to 10 mins after but not 30 mins.

Also, it is very hard to estimate the amount of liquied (water) on the parking lot (0.2 l can sometimes look like flood).

When returning home, I have turned off A/C cca 40 km before the pulling off and there was no leakage.

Is there any other tests I could do on my own in order to determine if this normal or not?

Thank you

Attachments

It's normal, and how long water drips out depends on several factors.

Water dripping out of the HVAC isn't going to harm anything, even if it seems like a lot.

Now ... if the water dripping out of the HVAC looks like coolant, and your coolant levels are falling, then you have a leaking heater core.

OK, thank you for the reply. What is the correct way of using car HVAC?
I forgot to mention that almost during whole drive, fresh air inlet have been chosen. I think now that I should have switched to air recirculation.

There is no incorrect way of using it. I usually use recirculated air when the A/C is going to keep the car colder, and I always set it to floor when using heat (hot air through the dashboard vents can fatigue you during a drive)

Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbup1::clap:;):thumbup::balloon::party:

What you are seeing with water dripping off of the A.C. unit is normal.

Last edited:
Our pleasure. You will find that this forum has some very knowledgeable and very nice people in it that are more than willing to help out.

Don't be a stranger. :thumbup1::)