A/C Cycles Off Too Much

As the hot weather is arriving I'm noticing that our '07 Corolla LE started blowing warmer air when the car is stopped then cools off when it its moving again. I was thinking low refrigerant, but I was under the hood with the A/C on and noticed that the compressor cycles on for maybe 15 seconds then cycles off for close to a minute before it cycles on again.

Why woudl the compressor cycle off for such a long period compared to the time it is running? Is this a sign of low refrigerant or some other problem?

I need to purchase a set of A/C gauges, but in the meantime was wondering if I should be looking at something other than refrigerant.

Double check with a set of gauges. Usually a slow cycling speed means there is an overcharge, the high pressure circuit has an issue, or the TXV expansion valve is malfunctioning.

It could also be a clogged receiver drier filter, but that wouldn't happen unless you had A/C work done and the mechanic didn't evacuate the system or left it exposed to the elements before performing a vacuum pull and fill.

Usually low Freon keeps the compressor clutch engaged constantly with no cooling.