AC Out

Has anyone experienced the AC going out on their Corolla? I was leaving an appointment this morning where all of a sudden I hear what sounds like a kind of ticking noise, like something caught in spokes on a bicycle. My first instinct was to pull over and look under the hood, but I didn't see anything wrong and after a while the noise stopped. I just had the serpentine belt replaced last week so my first reaction was that something had happened with that, but that appears to be working fine. I'm assuming since I have no AC it must be the compressor? I didn't notice problems with anything else. Is this kind of noise normal when a compressor goes out? I've never actually had AC go out on a car and I'm not in any way familiar with auto mechanics. Other than the compressor I wouldn't know what else it could be. Opinions or suggestions? It's a 2010 Toyota S. Thanks in advance.

Not a lot of info to go on but let's give it a shot. Is the car still under warranty? if you are still under the factory bumper to bumper warranty-take it to the dealer. Does the fan speed control work? it is not uncommon for creatures to work their way into the duct system and clog up a fan. the AC may be working but not the fan. try the fan speed while using the heater. if the fan works, that's one thing out of the way. Without going thru a ton of what-ifs, if the fan is working then its possible to be a compressor. if that is the case take it to a mechanic you trust if the car is out of warranty.

No, not under warranty.

The fan speed control does seem to work.

I was afraid you'd say it was the compressor. Not an inexpensive piece to replace. Thanks.

I'm a complete novice in automotive diagnostics, but my old 2002 Camry had a problem with its magnetic clutch relay getting stuck which would cause the air conditioning to work intermittently. Under this condition the AC light would blink. If that's your situation, check there first. A third party replacement is about $10. I never noticed any noise though, so it's probably not what you're experiencing.

It is absolutely the compressor, I've had it confirmed by 2 different mechanics who have looked at the car.

No, it's not under warranty when it's got 70,000 miles on it.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Check with Toyota on the warranty issue. Call your local Toyota dealers Service Department with the VIN # of your car and inquire. There may even be a recall with this problem. An air conditioning compressor shouldn't be failing in only 70,000 miles.

No, there is no recall and it's not under warranty. The serpentine belt broke about 5 days prior and I believe the compressor may have been damaged as a result. Either way I solved the problem.

No the belt wasn't bad. The mechanic showed me there weren't any cracks or anything on it. It only slipped off due to someone leaving the oil cap loose from my last oil change. There's oil everywhere under the hood that needs to be cleaned off.