Accelerator pedal touchy

The accelerator pedal on my 2015 corolla is very sensitive. Even if I tap the pedal, the car basically jumps forward. This makes navigating a three point turn in a tight spot very hard. Is this normal? I'm also noticing relatively low mpg (8.7 - 9 litres per 100k, although mainly city driving). Perhaps the two could be linked? I was thinking it could be a mass airflow sensor issue.

The accelerator pedal on my 2015 corolla is very sensitive. Even if I tap the pedal, the car basically jumps forward. This makes navigating a three point turn in a tight spot very hard. Is this normal? I'm also noticing relatively low mpg (8.7 - 9 litres per 100k, although mainly city driving). Perhaps the two could be linked? I was thinking it could be a mass airflow sensor issue.
Hello:

First of all I can explain a little if the car is an automatic transmission. Toyota company is been using and upgrading transmission for a while. Since the corollas are a car with low torque engines, the transmission will pull the car easy without even touch the accelerator. That will make them a little "touchy" when you put your feet on the gas. Really young generation loves this because it will develop speed faster specially from the get go. Anyways, the transmission is so efficient that will move the car. So on your 3 point turn, just release the brake pedal (if on a flat surface) and let the car move you. One thing you can check is to verify the car is not in "sport mode." This mode will tell the computer to use more fuel and air for more burning and quicker response.

Now, if it is in sport mode (if available on your model) that will make the mpg drops but not to what you are describing. Corollas are great on mpg (27-35). The sensor would be a good place to start. Keep us posted here.

Yes, I've only had the car a couple of months and it has been like this since I've bought it. Unfortunately my carport area is on a slope, hence the need to touch the gas to move. Good to know that it's normal. So I was originally averaging 9.1 l /100k. I've changed to pirelli p6s (the old tyres were scalloped apparently) and had a wheel alignment done, which has most recently brought it down to 8.4l / 100k, although it varies of course. My area is quite hilly with a bit of traffic, so that won't be helping, but I'm very light on the gas pedal. I will ask for a new MAS at the next service - understand they are quite cheap so might be worth it since the car has done 133,000ks. A bit gutted since I bought the car wanting that great gas mileage. Wouldn't have gone with a CVT otherwise. I think the prior owner has neglected it so it may be spark plugs / immediate oil change as I suspect they have used cheaper oil in it.