Adding A Little Pep To Its Step

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Hello everyone I'm new here and am the very proud new owner of a 97 corolla 1.8 4 speed and I have put new plugs already andam looking for ways to add a little more power nothing wild just a little what are some new things I could toss on to help and also what are a good set of struts for the rear mine a blown lol its a bouncy house and clunks over bumps. Any other advice appreciated!!!!!!!

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
yes i do

Yes I do the car runs top notch it is one owner before me and he took care of it meticulously and it has 117k all belts have been changed less than 10000 miles ago oil change engine air filter. Believe me it is not losing any power it actually has a decent amount of power just want a little more

Hmm....air filter upgrade (K&N or other similar)....an exhaust upgrade...unless you really want to get into major engine upgrades, that's where I'd start.

No doubt others wiser than I will have opinions as well.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
The only problem I have with the exhaust upgrade is I don't want it to sound like a fart cannon if I could find something with a nice grumble not loud and NOT RICEY.. any ideas

Trade your 'rolla in for a '66 Mustang ;)

(Kidding)

Dunno. I'm still trying to decide if I want to swap out the muffler on my '14. I hear good things about Borla and Magnaflow (no pun indended...well, ok, maybe a little pun). I'm sure others would have their opinions.

I think it's going to be hard to get "a nice grumble not loud and NOT RICEY" with a four cylinder Japanese car. :blink:

There's a bunch of videos on YouTube where you can check out sound of various exhaust upgrades on different Corollas. (I did search for "toyota corolla borla exhaust" and got like 10k hits. "toyota corolla magnaflow" has like 24k.)

So apparently every Toyota owner in the U.S. except you and me has upgraded his exhaust and uploaded it to YouTube. :laughing:

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
I've heard many 4 cylinders that don't sound Ricey you just settle for ricy all you have to do is find the right combo and I'm not a fan of kandn to much work my time is worth more than the money you save and don't really give you anything more. And before we jump to the assumption that I want to make it fly is false I own a 11 Chrysler 200 with v6 283 HP bone stock so if I want balls I drive that I just want the rolls to have a little bite to its very little bark

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
I think at the same time I might just put a new fuel tank and pump in it to not just that coke is worth money I already spend to much on gas to begin with lol

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
The best way for me to improve fuel efficiency is move some were else I live in a state of pure hill everywhere I go is hills and my heavy foot has a good amount to do with it but the od off button helps out although it is very underpowered for the hills that we have but when you go from 300hp to 100 underpowered is an understatement my 200 makes more tq at 1600rpn than this does at redline lol

Not that many engine make torque at redline (unless it's a diesel), but still, max torque on a Corolla at about 4000 rpm was probably what a 200 does at 1600 rpm.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Nope the 200 makes more tq at 1600rpm than the corolla makes anywhere in the rpm range I understand the peak tq of corolla comes at 4k but no matter the rpm it is very underpowered for the area I live in but I'm living 30mpg avg despite all the obstacles which is more than welcome 20$ in the corolla get me 3 days of driving easy 20$ in the 200 gets me 3 red lights and a highway merge if I'm lucky although on the highway I can get same mpg as corolla