AE102 Misfire Issues - Won't Go Away!!!

So here is my problem. I recently purchased my 93 ae102 (1.8L manual) and have been loving it. However it seems like it's idle is pretty rough as it shakes the car, like it wants to die. I figured it was a misfire so I went to check the plugs. While keeping the car running, I removed each boot to see if any, when removed, didn't change the idle. Cylinder 2, with the spark plug boot removed, let's the car run the same (around 600-700rpm).

So I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and it's still doing it. When I pulled out the boot again, you can see the spark arking to the plug tube wall so it's definitely getting spark from the distributor. Where do I go from here? Fuel issue? Compression?

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
If it were a fuel injector issue the condition/color of the spark plugs will provide huge clues.

Did you look at each of the old spark plugs when you removed them? Do you still have them?

If it were a fuel injector issue the condition/color of the spark plugs will provide huge clues.

Did you look at each of the old spark plugs when you removed them? Do you still have them?
I do yes. Some have a little bit of black around the threads. Nothing major on any of them.

If you are certain that the issue is from Cylinder #2, put a multimeter on the fuel injector connection and verify that it is getting voltage, then do a resistance check on the fuel injector terminals and verify that there is proper resistance. If all of that checks out, then I would pull it out and look for obstructions or contamination around the sprayer.

If the spark plug looked normal, that tells me that the injector isn't firing at all and the cylinder is firing a dry charge, so definitely check the connections and the resistance of the injector first.

If you are certain that the issue is from Cylinder #2, put a multimeter on the fuel injector connection and verify that it is getting voltage, then do a resistance check on the fuel injector terminals and verify that there is proper resistance. If all of that checks out, then I would pull it out and look for obstructions or contamination around the sprayer.

If the spark plug looked normal, that tells me that the injector isn't firing at all and the cylinder is firing a dry charge, so definitely check the connections and the resistance of the injector first.
So since I don't have a working multimeter (I'll pick one up tomorrow), I just unplugged the obd2 connector from the injector and the idle didn't change. I'm thinking I should just order an injector.

Don't do that until you get a multimeter on it. If you buy the injector and it still doesn't work, that is going to be an expensive way to find out that there is no voltage at the connector.

Don't do that until you get a multimeter on it. If you buy the injector and it still doesn't work, that is going to be an expensive way to find out that there is no voltage at the connector.
In all honesty though, what is the likelihood that just the one of the four connectors is bad? I'm trying it tonight so I'll keep you all posted.

I do yes. Some have a little bit of black around the threads. Nothing major on any of them.
The important issue is that they all look the same, especially from the cylinder that is having the suspected misfire problem.

The color of the threads is not important. What you want to look at is the electrode, where the spark occurs.

This video will help you out. The old spark plugs will provide you valuable clues -

Last edited by a moderator:
So I checked both the connector for proper voltage as well as the injector for proper resistance. Connector has over 14 volts and the injector's resistance is different than the rest so I'm assuming it's just a bad injector.

The plugs all looked the same because the previous owner said they were recently replaced but I don't want Champions in my ae. No sir-ry Bob! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Scott, sounds like the plugs had too few miles on them to get any type of warning signs.

Plus, that one injector having different resistance than the rest definitely isn't good.

Even if the injector is completely shot? I know a poor spray pattern will show carbon build-up, but usually, if it completely dies out, nothing shows up on the plugs.

Even if the injector is completely shot? I know a poor spray pattern will show carbon build-up, but usually, if it completely dies out, nothing shows up on the plugs.
If the injector will not open then nothing will show on the plugs.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

If one cylinder is misfiring, (for whatever reason), then the spark plug from that one cylinder will have a different appearance than the spark plugs from the other cylinders.

Ok well regardless here is the update.

New injector is in (Beck/Arnley) and functioning properly and there are no leaks. However the issue still remains.

Injector is spewing fuel, spark is bright and vivid, and compression is solid.

So now where the heck do I go from here?

** Just in case anyone hasn't read the original post, here is what is going on:
It's idle is pretty rough as it shakes the car, like it wants to die. I figured it was a misfire so I went to check the plugs. While keeping the car running, I removed each boot to see if any, when removed, didn't change the idle. Cylinder 2, with the spark plug boot removed, let's the car run the same (around 600-700rpm).

So I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and it's still doing it. When I pulled out the boot again, you can see the spark arking to the plug tube wall so it's definitely getting spark from the distributor.**

Should I pull the valve cover off and check the spark plug tube seals and see if there is any oil in there? Would that prevent combustion?

If you have fuel, spark, and compression, it should be firing. A severe oil leak would show up on the plugs quick...

Give me a while to mule over it ... that's definitely bizarre.

More parts replacing and the problem still persists. So expensive. :(

With replacing so many parts, this opens a Pandora's box of other potential problems like, were the parts installed correctly? Are the new parts functioning correctly and so on. This factor makes the original problem even harder to diagnose.

How many miles are on the car?

Does the engine running rough change at all when it is put into gear? As the car is accelerating and maintaining speed, does the engine still run rough?

He said that disconnecting the spark plug and the fuel injector from cylinder #3 didn't change the idle (so I'm assuming that doing the same thing on #1, #2, and #4 DID change the idle).

I would say mechanical damage, but he says he has compression.

So that eliminates:

Ignition issues (plugs have spark)
Fuel issues (fuel injector with abnormal resistance was replaced)
Valve issues (compression is good)
Head gasket (again, compression is good)
Damaged piston (yup, again, compression is good)

Scott, be easy on him. If I saw a fuel injector with resistance way off from the other three, I would have replaced it as well. He checked it before replacing it ... he didn't replace it right away.

Even with a severe vacuum leak, disconnecting the plugs should still make a change in idle since the computer can compensate for them. But electronics can get goofy ... so I suppose the only thing that is left, is to get a spray bottle with water, and spray around the injector on cylinder #3 (just to verify that the O-Rings didn't rip or deform when they were being installed), and on the intake manifold gasket on the intake runner for cylinder #3.

If all of that checks out and there is no loss of vacuum, then I am not sure what else could be off.

Also, for future reference, never disconnect ANY electronics while the vehicle is running. You can cause an arc that can damage the electronics by doing so. If I am checking for a misfire that doesn't throw a code, I disconnect #1, fire it up, note any changes, kill the engine, reconnect #1, disconnect #2, repeat.

Back in the days of points ignition where no electronic modules existed, this was alright to do, but nowadays, this can destroy PCMs, and they aren't cheap and are a pain to diagnose.

Back in the days of points ignition where no electronic modules existed, this was alright to do, but nowadays, this can destroy PCMs, and they aren't cheap and are a pain to diagnose.
Ok good to know. Yeah I have been working on cars for a long time and I know everything is installed correctly. I'll check for vacuum issues but the likelihood that it's only affecting one cylinder is small but it's worth a shot.

Is there anyway there could be issues with the block itself?

Some of these engines are noted for vacuum leaks. The easiest way to diagnose this is with a smoke test.

No the engine block is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of these engines are noted for vacuum leaks. The easiest way to diagnose this is with a smoke test.

No the engine block is fine.
Okay I'll give that a shot. I know there is vacuum pressure in the valve cover, could the valve cover gasket be pulling a two-fer (vacuum leak and oil leak into the spark plug tube)?

Oil leaking into the spark plug tube is a possibility and if bad enough, could cause the misfire (but you wouldn't miss that when you went to get the plugs).

My '96 Mustang GT had the crap plastic intake manifold that would crack at the heater core return line and leak coolant all over spark plug #4 and caused a gnarly misfire, but it was so obvious that the boot was soaked in coolant, you would have been blind to miss it.

Hmmm. Okay. Well I'm still trying to figure it out. No noticeable vacuum leaks, but the chances that it would only be messing with once cylinder is beyond slim.

A local mechanic that I used to strongly trust seems to think that it's the MAF. But I now think he's an idiot because the 7th gens don't have MAF's, only air charge sensors right?

So compression, spark, and fuel, all there. But still misfiring on cylinder 2... :mad:

A coolant leak into a cylinder would be obvious on a spark plug. Your plug would literally look like someone steam cleaned it.

When you checked compression, did you have all the spark plugs out? Or did you remove cyl 1 spark plug and check compression, reinstall cyl 1 plug and remove cyl 2 plug, etc?

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

Yes I removed one plug at a time to check compression in each cylinder.

And yes I had the college do a smoke test and the only vacuum leak we found was the hose going to the valve cover. I replaced it but obviously not the problem.

Yes I removed one plug at a time to check compression in each cylinder.

And yes I had the college do a smoke test and the only vacuum leak we found was the hose going to the valve cover. I replaced it but obviously not the problem.
This could be an issue. If you have a head gasket leak between cylinders it wouldn't show up in the test you did. The proper way to test compression is to remove all plugs at once and check each cylinder with no plugs in any cylinder.