Airbag Light on after car flooded?

Connor

My car was sitting in the street during a flash flood a few days ago, and I had water just over the seats inside. It is mostly dry now, and runs fine, but my airbag light is on next to my RPM dial, and the passenger airbag light reads OFF and ON at the same time.

What could cause this? I don't know where the airbag sensors are, but could they be wet/damaged?

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
If the water was up to your seats, many components could have been damaged such as the cars computer, the airbag computer, the wiring throughout the car, etc. Even the metal could have been affected by the water which can cause major rusting in the future. Why aren't you calling your insurance and making a claim? They will most likely total your car as it has been flooded and due to the fact that your electronics may all be damaged.

Water being that high would/could cause many other problems. The car may seem ok now but there is no telling what could be wrong. It sucks but an insurance claim should be looked into. You can always pick up a good used Corolla, or use the insurance for down payment on a new rolla.

I know that in a 2010 the passenger airbag sensor is in the seat which turns the airbag on when it senses weight and turns off when there's no weight. It's possible that you have "standing" water in a wire connection (plug) which is causing a short, may require a few days in dry warm weather with the windows opened or cracked. Flooding is something serious and as others have said a insurance claim should be looked into.