Anyone Installed Aftermarket For Lights?

hey guys,
I put a new bumper on my car along with some halo projector headlights. my old bumper was cracked so I thought I would upgrade the headlights at the same time and add some fog lights. I got the halo projector headlights all wired up and working great. I really like the way they look. However, the wiring harness that came with my ebay fog lights had no instructions, and I'm not quite certain on how they wire up. Actually, there is only one thing I am kind of confused on. There is a brown connector that comes off the switch labeled "ignition", but I have no idea where it is supposed to go. Has anyone wired these before? They are SpecD Tuning fog lights I got on ebay for $30.

http://www.specdtuning.com/lfcor05goem.html

I bought some on ebay too, they came with the switch and wiring harness, but I still can't figure out how to mount or connect them. They don't fit properly into the spots my stock, black covers, snapped in to.

show me a pic of the harness and I'll be able to help out I think.
Awesome. I would really appreciate your help.

The green one plugs into the switch (not pictured). I am guessing the black open-ended connection goes to a ground, and the yellow connects to the black connector (in the picture below). But what about that brown connector that is labeled "ignition"? Any idea where that would go?

The two top connectors connect to the fog lights themselves. The bottom red connector goes to the battery I am guessing? The other black connector on the left, connects to the yellow wire in the top picture?

These are the two connectors mentioned above that I believe should connect. The black one from the main harness (on the left), and the yellow one on the switch harness (on the right), connected by this red wire (in the middle)?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

natecade1

Maintainer of Wife's Cor
Do you have a multimeter? if not this could be difficult.

I take it your car does not have factory foglights?

This setup seems a little more complicated than I thought. In a 12v DC system there are two methods for turning something on or off,
You can either have constant power supply and close a ground contact to complete the circuit, or have the item grounded and close the "hot" contact to complete the curcuit.

You are correct that the black wire coming off the switch harness is a ground. The red wire (labeled ignition) should be connected to a 12V ignition on source. A 12V constant can be used but you would have to remember to turn off your foglights before exiting your vehicle.
But I would have to see or test the switch to know what the yellow wire is for, ie. does the switch have a normally open 12v supply or a normally open ground?
Also, is the switch illuminated?

The fact that it is a plug is curious. if you can find something under your dash it can plug into then test that source, if it is 12V key on or ignition then use it.

The purpose of the relay should be to turn the fog lights off if the high beams are turned on, as it is illegal in most states to drive with both on.
However, without seeing a close up of the relay diagram (should be printed on the relay) it is impossible to tell if that is it's purpose.

also do I spy a fuse on the red wire next to the relay? There should be a fuse somewhere on a hot wire.

anyway without complicating things further I suspect you are right about everything especially if the switch is illuminated but without testing or confirming I would not hook it up that way, ie. taking a red wire straight to a black one. usually in 12v DC systems black means ground. red means hot.

To explain, the red "ignition" wire simply serves to illuminate the switch. the black grounds the switch, the switch opens and closes the ground. Meaning the yellow wire would go to the black one coming off the relay and the red wire (assuming that is a fuse there) would go straight to the battery. If this was the case the relay would do nothing to turn the lights off with high beams or with key off. It would be simple but effective.

If this is the case then you wouldnt even need to use the "ignition wire" unless you wanted your switch illuminated.