Auto shut off. 2020 Toyota

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Made the News about People having cars left on, and Toyota was the Ony one with a feature after so many Minutes shuts down the car. this only applys to push ignitions.

so if I am up to researching I will if any one knows the Corolla has it great/ thanx

According to C & D they have no info of what car has what Lol

Researching till post is locked

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28035147/toyota-automatic-park-auto-engine-shutoff/

New Toyota Cars Will Automatically Go into Park and Shut the Engine Off
Starting with the 2020 model year, Toyota is implementing two new safety features on many of its models.

By DANIEL GOLSON
JUN 14, 2019

Toyota
  • Many Toyota models will get two new safety features starting with the 2020 model year.
  • The first feature will automatically put the car in park if it detects a risk that it could roll away.
  • The second will automatically shut off the engine after a certain amount of time.
Starting with the 2020 model year, Toyota is adding two new safety technologies to many of its models, calling the move part of the brand's "relentless commitment to continuous improvement." The new features are focused on the safety of parked—or almost parked—vehicles.
The first of the two systems is called Automatic Park, which is pretty self-explanatory. In Toyotas with an electronic shifter and/or an electronic parking brake, the car will automatically put itself into park and/or apply the parking brake if it detects the driver has exited the car without putting it into park. This anti-roll-away system is in addition to the existing visual and audio warnings that Toyotas already have to indicate when the vehicle is not in park.

Toyota
The other system is called Auto Shut Off. An extension of Toyota's Smart Key, which has been around since 2003 and alerts the driver when the engine is still running, the new system will automatically turn off the engine after a certain amount of time. Toyota doesn't say how long the car will wait before shutting the engine off, but it says the car will also produce "enhanced" audible and visual warnings. In the future, a Toyota smartphone app will have additional reminders.
Toyota doesn't say which of its cars will get these features, but we have a good idea based on the descriptions of them. Because the Automatic Park system is only available on cars with electronic shifters or parking brakes, that rules out older vehicles like the 4Runner and the Land Cruiser, which have old-school shifters, and cars such as the 86that still use manual parking brakes. The Auto Shut Off system is likely to be introduced on more models, but likely only ones that have push-button start.
Toyota also doesn't say when these features will begin to be rolled out, but with some 2020 model Toyotas already on sale now, it should be very soon.

jolly

Apparently every year some people forget to “push-button” the car off. With inside home garages it means carbon monoxide poisoning, including some deaths. Not sure why a push button is harder to remember than a key when exiting a car (plus the sound of the engine) but apparently it is.

The debate is between a loud sound when opening door or this auto shut-off. Maybe a cell phone alert would have more success… Recently, for some reasons, Toyota is very keen on applying NHTSA recommendations (that aren’t regulations yet), like this and no album art display outside of park.

delrey

Apparently every year some people forget to “push-button” the car off. With inside home garages it means carbon monoxide poisoning, including some deaths. Not sure why a push button is harder to remember than a key when exiting a car (plus the sound of the engine) but apparently it is.
I'm not sure either. You know the car is on and you must interact with it to shut if off. Whether a button or twisting a key.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Lol. the Auto shut off is a safety feature. there is an Audio alert system that will warn you.. for some people (not me) ( I ask for reasons Lol) the key is by far the best reminder it went into the car it did a few things somethings like unlocked the steer wheel, the gear, and started the car, and shut down, lock up. with a Push button and the new auto off. it is the car puts the park brake on you press OFF and well still have to press on the handle to Lock.

We see people absant minded walk away with all in the car. etc....

the distance of this corolla with he smart key is SHORT not by feet iti s SHORT have to be on top of the car to get to work. Lol. So I will try to do the stupid thing of

1. getting out in Drive see if the car stops, lays the E-brake . b/c the door is opening.
2. auto shut down. see the time limit. 30 minutes is awefully too long 3 minutes would been best. If asked

go figure

Well, I have twice in my life locked the keys in the car with the motor running. Knowing the engine was going to keep running until I got it unlocked *did* make the problem seem worse. After the second time, I put a spare key in my wallet. No more problems after that - I locked the key in several more times since then, but the wallet key saved me the aggravation.

And yes, it takes a great deal of "spaciness" to lock the key in with the car running. But some people are that spacy. Once when I did it and pulled out the spare, somebody watching said "Hey, I'm gonna put a spare key in my wallet!"