Awesome '99 Corolla sounding rough in 1st gear???

Hi there,

I just love this little car of mine. It's been so reliable and drives so smoothly on the highway, but in last few months it starts to sound a bit rough, like a cough in first gear. The other gears sound very good and still purrs like a kitten on the highway. Such a pleasure to drive. Can you gives me some advice on what needs to be done? I just don't trust autobody shops at all!!

Does this sound like spark plugs or what??

Thanks,

James

So first time ever, I just bought spark plugs, and a kit for changing them 30$ and changed them. However, 2nd plug i noticed the cap was melted and the wire from the cap had been stuck on the spark plug. I was so confused by that. But eventually used needle nose pliars to remove it and got out the plug.

So how likely is that one melted spark plug cap gonna be the issue of a rough sounding engine? Sounding pretty rough but still working with just 3 spark plugs.

Now to get a cap. Wonder where I can get one.

Well..awesome news! Actually I got the wires and put two of them in and already sounds like a million dollars! Huge relief cause I only 20 minutes before going to work! Will finish the job today! I had reasoned through the whole thing myself. I wonder if that's why my engine light was coming on. Anyways thanks for the support. It feels so good to be running well again. Little more than 24hrs ago I was thinking they might have to tow my car away and dump it. I really love this car so I'm happy!!

Well..awesome news! Actually I got the wires and put two of them in and already sounds like a million dollars! Huge relief cause I only 20 minutes before going to work! Will finish the job today! I had reasoned through the whole thing myself. I wonder if that's why my engine light was coming on. Anyways thanks for the support. It feels so good to be running well again. Little more than 24hrs ago I was thinking they might have to tow my car away and dump it. I really love this car so I'm happy!!
Congrats on fixing your car.

Sounds like you also need other tune ups. Change your transmission fluid(AT or MT, btw?), and check your engine air filter. Also check your tire air pressure, alignment, etc.