Bad Catalytic Converter

So my 2003 Corolla S has been throwing a check engine light at me every two weeks or every week. The code is for bank 1 in my Cat.. I can get a brand new one for 230 bucks but i dont know if its worth it since i can just turn off the light every time it happens. i know i have to eventually because of the smog check but what do you guys think should i hold off on this or should i get it done asap? does cats have anything to do with fuel economy?

Don't replace anything.

Diagnose.

Typical signs of a plugged catalytic convertor are lack of power when climbing hills, reduced fuel economy and also the catalytic convertor can actually glow red because it gets so hot from trapped exhaust gases.

Is the car showing any of these symptoms?

What code is it showing?

Last edited:
Thanks Scott. Well actually i do feel like when im climbing hills i dont have enough power for some reason but i thought that was due to the smaller engine? And with fuel economy i also do feel like it could be better. do you think its worth my money to get a new one soon?

There is no benefit to replacing parts that don't need replacing. Spending money needlessly, well if you're rich I guess and you have money to burn, go for it.

Diagnose. Don't just replace. Follow the diagnostic instructions in the videos above and you wont go wrong.

Richard - So how's it going with your Corolla? Update?
Sorry for the late reply! So i had the cat replaced with a new one and now no more check engine lights. Had the new cat on it for about a month, ive noticed better power and better gas mileage as well. So far so good with my corolla i love it

Yes original. And about 158k i want to say. Just ordered a new clock for 40 bucks from a junkyard for my car, beats 270 bucks from the dealer right?