bad mpg

hello i really need some insight on what kind of mpg you guys are getting
i cannot get more than 250 miles per tank
the onboard computer says im getting 23 mpg but i try to drive as least aggressive as possible but if i dont give it gas it does not increase speed quickly and i will annoy other drivers
im driving a 2014 corolla s plus with the cvt
is 250 miles per tank acceptable
i do more city driving than highway

250 miles per tank is around 19 mpg...It's on the low side. Mine gives me between 30 city / 50 highway (LE Eco). But you really can't compare as it depends on a lot of factors : bigger wheels on the S, gradual acceleration - which doesn't mean "not give gas" and braking vs flooring and stopping at the last minute, type of gas (with or without ethanol), car load, temperature (yes) and, of course traffic conditions. I'm not hyper-milling,

i know but i dont know what to do
the dealership is not really doing anything its supposed to be certified pre owned and all that good stuff but it get really bad mpg

Thomas

"certified pre owned" is just marketing speak and doesn't mean anything when it comes to the mechanical condition of the car. I have a 2015 LE, and with city and traffic driving, I'm getting over 300 miles per tank. I'm not a car expert, but it sounds like something's up with your car. How many miles did it have when you bought it. Did you get it inspected by a third party?

I have 2015 s+ manual with 27k and I get 290 miles on the tank 27 mpg. I use this car for uber on the weekends doing nothing but city driving and Highway during the week. I think 27mpg is pretty good for.

AJN

You should do better. To many things to consider too. How much weight in car? How many miles? have plugs been changed if over 35,000-40,000. Air filter clogged? . anything to do with degrading engine performance. While it may seem to run ok it could still be suffering. Or even a brake piston sticking slightly. Correct tire pressure. Put enough things together and it can add up to poor mileage.

I don't know where you live but the combination of special winter blend gas and cold weather drops the mpg of my Silverado by 12%.

Also, I did not replace the air filter as often as I should have. When I put a new air filter in the mpg increased by 13%.

Finally when I take a long highway drive at 75 - 80 mph.... (Maine is 75mph + grace) instead of 60-65, I lose an additional 6% mpg.

All Of this Data comes from time averaged readouts in the dash.

Last edited:
I have a 2015 LE with CVT and get 36mpg combined in summer and have been averaging 33/34 mpg combined in winter with heater on. I take it easy and don't push it too much and I usually have two other passengers in the car.

hello i really need some insight on what kind of mpg you guys are getting
i cannot get more than 250 miles per tank
the onboard computer says im getting 23 mpg but i try to drive as least aggressive as possible but if i dont give it gas it does not increase speed quickly and i will annoy other drivers
im driving a 2014 corolla s plus with the cvt
is 250 miles per tank acceptable
i do more city driving than highway
My V8 used to get better gas mileage than this. Go have it checked, try using a different gas station if you're using only one. Don't use paddle shifters and keep it in auto mode. Also, type S is slower than LE with CVT due to larger diameter wheels and wider tires both of which slow the car down and impact your mpg negatively as well. Sadly the engine is identical and paddle shifters don't do jack to make it faster except maybe give you a false perception that it is.

My V8 used to get better gas mileage than this. Go have it checked, try using a different gas station if you're using only one. Don't use paddle shifters and keep it in auto mode. Also, type S is slower than LE with CVT due to larger diameter wheels and wider tires both of which slow the car down and impact your mpg negatively as well. Sadly the engine is identical and paddle shifters don't do jack to make it faster except maybe give you a false perception that it is.
My Type S gets 360-390 out of each tank with some spirited driving.

'14 LE with 89K and I get around 440-450 miles a tank averaging 37.5mpg.....You could try resetting your Trip Information on the touch screen?

Try resetting the ecm...by unplugging negative terminal from battery, wait like 20mins, and let idle for 10mins ....and yes, like what those guys said, check air filter and maf sensor...

and plugs...(idk why I'm talking about spark plugs, so much)...
Maybe I'm a big loser...

with all the above info, I think the only thing I can add is tire pressure. Keep those tires inflated properly and check them regularly and adjust as needed. An underinflated tire(s) will eat into your MPG.

Ajn what do u mean by brake piston sticking? How do u check for that? What are signs or indication of that besides mpg. FYI I'm not a mechanic.

To the original poster: Since you have an S, turn off the Sport Mode & you'll get better gas mileage. It's off by default when you start the car. You have to push that button by the shifter to turn it on. The car is definitely more peppy when this is on, but it'll kill your gas mileage really quickly!

I have a 2017 SE CVT with about 600 miles on it. I get about 27 to 28 MPG arount town short trips. No problem with acceleration
What up Lar. Just purchased a 2017 SE. Car is great. Any suggestions about paddle shifting? I realize that to get the most out of this car, you have to switch to "Sport" mode and use the manual shifter below, but the paddle shifter(s) is a great option. Any tips you can offer?
Thanks man,
Daniel G.