Bad Paint - Chips?

Mr. K

Corolla S plus
Read on another forum of the 2014 having very weak paint that chips easily.

Searched here and found one other person with this issue.

A search of the internet does not show any type of wide spread complaints.

Maybe I'm over thinking this because it is my first new car, but is the paint really that prone to chips? I would think there would be more complaints on the net if the paint was really that weak.

Anyone else have experience wit this. I only have 3500 miles so far, but paint looks good.

The people that have this happen to their cars typically tailgate other cars, with small rocks and road debris kicking up from the tires of the car they are tailgating hitting the front of their car, chipping the paint. They can stop tailgating, or they can have a heavy duty clear coat applied to the lower front half of the car and this way they can keep tailgating without having the paint on their car chipped. :thumbdown:

Sounds like you're not a tailgater. :thumbup1::)

Last edited:
I have paint chips on my car, but that is because the CA-78 is paved (cheapskate state) as opposed to concrete. I don't tailgate either, and motorcycles and semis can toss pebbles pretty far back behind them. I've gotten used to it ... still depressing though (my 2008 Matrix and 2003 Focus had the same thing happen on that freeway). I didn't notice on my '96 Mustang GT, but that is because the front end was in primer while I was prepping the rest of the car for paint.

Bad paint, chips?

I have paint chips as well. Drive gravel roads sometimes. Lots of reasons to have paint chips. Don't have to b a tailgater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: