battery change and brakes

may be a silly question BUT is there anything that has to be reset after battery change? How many miles can be expected before brake pads need changed?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Plug-n-play. brake pads for front 60K backs double that but we all drive differently, keep an eye, inspect the fronts as they wear you know when to change.

There is nothing that needs to be manually reset after a battery change, but the on-board sensors (also called "readiness monitors") will need time to gather data. All this means is that you need to go through a drive cycle to make sure the readiness monitors are complete.

So don't go for an inspection right after a battery change (or disconnect) or else they will tell you your sensors are incomplete and you need to come back after driving for 30-50 miles, which will put you through a drive cycle.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Yes if the radio has a code then best have it before disconnection, if aftermarket alarms are on it just be careful when reinstalling I may keep a lead of extra power to not lose the power called a back up bat for the alarm hidden.

Years ago if an aftermarket alarm was installed, putting the ignition in the run position before reconnecting the battery would keep it from sounding.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Well my luck got in the car today hmm warp warp vroom new battery 620 cranking amps 100 reserve minutes. well it is bigger higher then the older one and sucks when you ask for the right stuff and get the wrong thing and charged more, I should have gone to the store I went to last time for 80.00 vs 109. but I will be prepared for the harsh winter that to me is what matters the most

right battery better cranking power. heck I will swap to the old Toyota if I have to it all fits in there tightly now

Just look for your brake pads every month. If you are driving style is hard braking then they dont last longer. Otherwise it can go 100k miles if you drive with less braking.