Best Small SUV Alternative to Corolla?

What is your first choice based on low road noise, insulation from road bumps, high driver's seat?

• HR-V

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CR-V

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • RX350

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • RDX

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • QX60

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My wife would like a new car, and I'm looking for some suggestions for cars based on the specs below.
1. Low road noise. Fit and even Corolla is too loud for her, so I am thinking Lexus RX350 or Infiniti/Acura? I heard Acuras are loud too.
2. Leather, navi, and sunroof. Most subcompacts are out of the picture here, except Fit.
3. Insulation from road bumps. Fit was our first choice but it was too bumpy at test drive.
4. Compact or subcompact. Hence we are waiting for HR-V
5. High seat and commanding road view. She likes all aspects of the Corolla except the seat height. Need small SUV. How high is seating in IS250 or is it just a fancy Rolla? Juke's rear view and interior capacity are bad,

Fit EX_L Navi was our first choice, but too loud and bumpy. Corolla S Premium (my car) is not high seating enough; she'd like a small SUV for the height I guess. Fit had high seating and view but too loud. I am thinking RX350, but it is larger than she wants.

As of now, Honda HR-V is our best bet I guess. Any advice on Subarus? If the HR-V is unrefined, we may do CR-V though she thought it was a tad large.

HR-V is a higher Fit... Not sure how quieter or less bumpy they made it.

Subarus are great (Crosstek or Forester) with bumps and, according to reviewers, a bit quieter this year. But see if you need the extra-maintenance of 4WD.

The RX-350 is really smooth, but in another category pricewise... and even bigger than the CR-V, which always remains a safe bet.

An option close to the RX but smaller might be the new Lexus NX.

Or, if you have any trust in GM Dawaeo (Korea) the Buick Encore is small, nice and quiet (cousin Chevy Trax being cheaper in price but also in sound insulation and fit finish).

Mitsubishi also have the Outlander sport... Hyundai the Tucson and Kia Sportage

And what about the RAV4 ? It's kind of a higher Corolla !

I know, I'm not helping at all ! So many choices !
The funny thing is that beside higher sitting position that so many people love, small SUV hardly compare with car in interior space and road handling (well, there is always the Porsche Macan !)

Thanks! I didn't realize the RX-350 is larger than the CRV. It does get very poor mileage. Had never heard of the NX. Acura should bring out their version of the HR-V called CDX next year, but we need to buy in August 2015. Hopefully the NX will be out by then. I will read up on the Subarus and Encore you mentioned on Consumer Reports.

My sister got the Chevy Trax (because of the price gap with cousin Buick Encore) for the same reasons your wife has. It's OK except for some bumps : the wheel base is quite short ! And underpowered.

The Lexus NX is already out. It's a Lexus, so forget about Corolla level pricing !
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/lexus/nx/first-drive.htm

I always like reviews from this YouTube channel (reviews of the car itsef, like a tour, not road test. With a little search, you might find there other options.)

Last edited:
Hi, if you like Toyota, you should give a try to the RAV4 and see which version suits you better. All brands have been mentioned here, seems you have a lot of homework to do! I have seen a couple of times a Mazda CX-5 Looks like a very smart one.

Mazda CX5, like all Mazdas has a very good reputation, at least in the eye of reviewers... There is also the Nissan Rogue... Yes, so many good choices. But in any case one would be looking at a very different category, especially pricewise, than the "quality econobox" Corolla ! And yes, the RAV4 would be the closest alternative.

We test drove the Rav4, CX-5, Rogue, CRV, NX and RX350 either from friends who own them or dealer. All are too large for my wife she says. So it will have to be HR-V or CX-3 when they release. Buick Encore
is intriguing but I fear reliability; what do you think?

Any options other than what I listed so far?

What do you think of Juke? Did not get good reviews from Consumer Reports, but neither did Corolla and we love the Corolla. Seems to be car reviews are written by young men who value horsepower and handling (Mazda3) over reliability and user-friendliness (Corolla).

I wouldn't say Corolla got bad review from CR : it is one of their recommanded models !

Corolla (rating 71)
+ Ride, fuel economy, interior space, value, large trunk, secure emergency handling.
- Lackluster handling, inconsistent interior quality, too easy to turn off the daytime running lights.

Juke (rating 66)
+ Handling, powertrain.
- Ride, noise, rear visibility, rear seat, small cargo area, non-telescope wheel, premium fuel, IIHS small overlap crash-test results.

For comparison : CR-V (rating 73)
+ Rear seat, lots of room and functionality, active safety features on higher trim lines.
- Ride, noise, unintuitive infotainment system.

Ah, I thought CR panned the corolla like Edmunds did. US News gave Corolla 17th out of 25 compacts! For the Juke, your post of "rear visibility, premium fuel" is enough to kill it as an option. If the CRV has same infotainment system as Civic, it kills it for me.

Buick Encore is intriguing but I fear reliability; what do you think?

I wouldn't say Corolla got bad review from CR : it is one of their recommanded models !

Corolla (rating 71)
+ Ride, fuel economy, interior space, value, large trunk, secure emergency handling.
- Lackluster handling, inconsistent interior quality, too easy to turn off the daytime running lights.

Juke (rating 66)
+ Handling, powertrain.
- Ride, noise, rear visibility, rear seat, small cargo area, non-telescope wheel, premium fuel, IIHS small overlap crash-test results.

For comparison : CR-V (rating 73)
+ Rear seat, lots of room and functionality, active safety features on higher trim lines.
- Ride, noise, unintuitive infotainment system.

Well, Buick has a better reputation than other GM brands (can't figure why...). The Encore is actually a Daewoo something or, so to speak, a higher Chevy Sonic. Its base price is higher than the top price of a loaded Corolla. As I said, that's why my sister went for the Trax, basically the same car with cheaper interior and price. Reliable so far (one year)

CR rating for Encore : 69
+ Ride, quietness, braking, maneuverability, some upscale options.
- Acceleration, driving position, narrow cabin, rear visibility, value.
Reliability : 19% over average (by comparison, Corolla is 30% over average, CRV 35% and Rav4 39% - with a global rating of 75)

Thanks, I just read CR for Encore and it is not recommended. Also some things like no power recline and some other small things I can't recall in the review kill it for me.

If its from those list, I heard the RDX is really good with performance also. But I would say the RAV4, if you're looking for suggestions. If not, the CRV would get my vote also.

Thanks! Not looking for performance or handling. Wife's needs are (in order of priority): Small size, navi, ride. I may look at some of the koreans too, but i think their ride is bad.

I'm not much of a SUV type, but If I had to get one, it would be the RAV4. But take your wife with you and go shopping and have her try it out, since she would be the one driving it most of the time, and see what she prefers.