black carbon on 2001 Toyota LE tailpipe and oil consumption

I am quite sure I got the dreaded Corolla oil consumption issue for the 2001 model. I put in about quart and a half every 1000 miles, seems worse in winter. I noticed some black carbon on the tail pipe, not greasy just carbon. Is this a sign it burns oil? Can't find any leak underneath, dry as a bone. 120,000 miles on it, own for one year and reliable except for oil consumption.

I am quite sure I got the dreaded Corolla oil consumption issue for the 2001 model. I put in about quart and a half every 1000 miles, seems worse in winter. I noticed some black carbon on the tail pipe, not greasy just carbon. Is this a sign it burns oil? Can't find any leak underneath, dry as a bone. 120,000 miles on it, own for one year and reliable except for oil consumption.
I have the same year Corolla with the same criteria you mention, except that mine does have an oil leak off the back right corner of the engine. From everything I have read on a bunch of posts your Corolla has the gummed up oil ring problem. I am about to tear mine down to clean and rebuild it. There is a pretty decent video on YouTube about doing it.