Brake Pads and Shoes

group

Hello guys! I have a corolla 2008 and would like to change the brake pads in the front and brake shoes in the back.
I was told by a firestone guy that these both items should be replaced on my car.
I would like to replace them myself cause i dont want to pay the $300 that they said it would cost me.
Are these pads and shoes basically the same for all cars or do i need to buy those that are made exactly for my car?
I was wondering if you knew where i could purchase these items online/store.

Thank you for the replies.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Brake pads and shoes are all different for different model cars. With all sincere due respect, if you don't know this, it indicates you don't know about brakes and I wouldn't recommend touching the brakes at all. Your life and that of others going down the road with you, are reliant on properly working brakes. Pay a professional. How much is your life worth?

Get other estimates and compare prices, or just to see if what you were originally told is even correct.

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Hello guys! I have a corolla 2008 and would like to change the brake pads in the front and brake shoes in the back.
I was told by a firestone guy that these both items should be replaced on my car.
I would like to replace them myself cause i dont want to pay the $300 that they said it would cost me.
Are these pads and shoes basically the same for all cars or do i need to buy those that are made exactly for my car?
I was wondering if you knew where i could purchase these items online/store.

Thank you for the replies.
Group. Understanding your question, and referring to a Corolla only.

Go into A Toyota Dealer, parts Dept, with your vin number, you walk out with disk and drum pads, do not forget malikyte 77 (sp) lube for the fronts only. No mistakes in getting the wrong pads. They will run you around $50-70.00 per set.

Taking off the wheel off, removing bolts, and pads ... sounds simple, and it is. for some it is 5 minutes, others a god hour or two. You should lube the slider pins, no question.

the drums I advise you to lift the whole rear, support with jacks, and do not work on both, but take a picture, because, if you never done one the drums, it will be fun, trust me.

M8-1.25 bolts, will get your rotors off, DO NOT pump your brakes when the rotors are off in the rear. DO NOT!

Good luck

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
If he doesn't know that brake pads and shoes are different from vehicle to vehicle, then he sure isn't going to know what slider pins are or anything else in the braking system either. Pure and simple, this is dangerous.

It would be like trying to advise someone how to drive when their first question is, "Where do I put the key?".

Brakes are not an area a newbie should be delving into. Period.

Last edited:

group

If he doesn't know that brake pads and shoes are different from vehicle to vehicle, then he sure isn't going to know what slider pins are or anything else in the braking system either. Pure and simple, this is dangerous.

It would be like trying to advise someone how to drive when their first question is, "Where do I put the key?".

Brakes is not an area a newbie should be delving into. Period.

Thank u all for the replies. I think i will go with scott's advise and not do the barkes. thats exactly what i was debating in my head ( safety).
Although i do A LOT of work on my car ( i am a first time DIYer) i think i will stay away from the brakes.
Anyways i found a mechanic who said he could help me out. I will still appreciate all feedback as to what kind / model pads and shoes i should get so i could go buy them myself and save some $$ cause this mechanic will do it for me for cheap.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
see one, do one, teach one, in person.

Sorry that I did not know you were a firs timer.

Once again OEM Toyota brake pads they will last the longest and trouble free,

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Group.

Modifications is what Scott O'kashan is offering you, do you want to put aftermarket parts on your car?

Brakes are a very important part that affects the stopping ability. How to change out requires more than just placing on pads?

pads, bleeding the brakes if air gets in, so on, I will not get technical about it, as I am No Pro, and will not argue with anyone about it.

Why go aftermarkets: For example Bandex brakes, be ready to change them out after a couple of thousands of Miles. There are many aftermarket brakes and your best option is what you own.

Remember, shoe last twice as long as the front's, and only one shoe will be worn more, than the other. and you must change the whole front, or the whole rear, not just a pad.

Bendix brakes manufactures many original equipment brake pads and shoes.

Aftermarket parts are many times better than the original equipment parts and usually cost less money, as there is no middle-man mark up, (new car dealership).

Original equipment parts, (aside from high-end vehicles), have to be made to fit a price range, so as to keep the overall price of the vehicle down vs the competition. By default, this means that the performance of original equipment parts can be exceeded by aftermarket parts and usually for a lower price as again there is no middle-man, (the new car dealership), taking a piece of the pie. This is why new parts from a dealership tend to be very, very expensive because of the mark up, not because they are better. We see vehicles being upgraded with aftermarket parts all the time to make them perform better, brake better, handle better, etc., than the original equipment parts.

If the case of a Mercedes Benz, Jaguar, Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Ferrari, etc., then yes the original equipment parts are almost always going to be the best, as they aren't manufactured to a price standard but a performance standard. But when it comes to a run of the mill Toyota, Chevy, Nissan, Dodge, Subaru, Ford, etc. class of vehicle, then yes aftermarket parts are available that will outperform the O.E. parts and usually for much less money.

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
When was the last time you purchased brakes Scott, and how much you pay? 38.00 for fronts, and now 42.00 for fronts, and that is a OEM pad but not a Toyota car. so I beg to differ. where you shop, and which shop you go will vary. shop wisely my friend.

OEM Toyota will vary at shops and run as posted earlier on.

Now back on topic to Group. Let us know your outcome.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
It has been some time now, and I am sure you have this problem resolved, do not wait to long as rotor/disks may get damaged.

Any outcome to the choice and decision you made?

Hope you made that wise decision to stick OEM, and stood clear of certain aftermarkets, only a shor time will tell. As noted with posts.