break lights stay on with key off.

My 96 Corolla DX I thought the rear running lights were staying on but turns out it was the brake lights and weak battery. anyway electrical problems belong to an expert so I went to an auto electric shop in San Pedro and told the mechanic my problem and he knew what the problem was without seeing the car. seems the brake light switch has a grommet that gets old and breaks. he charged me $20 to replace it and took 10 minutes. Best $20 I ever spent. he picked up the pieces off the floor mat when he opened the car door and showed them to me proving he knows his stuff.

I guess I could have replaced the switch or grommet myself but his knowledge was worth the $20 plus I gave a $10 tip as most shops have a minimum charge that is more than I paid. A lot of people don't realize there is more than the labor to pay for, the overhead can be 3 or 4 times on top of the mechanic's wages. This shop will get my future work and will recomend to others. he has a very happy coustomer.
also I found 2 other posts that were similar to mine but no one posted if or how the problem was resolved

fishycomics

Super Moderator
trouble finding this thread, Lol.

Last evening out of nowhere the cars brake light is on that has been sitting for days. So the first thing I do is inspect, all looks good, I needed a light a cresent wrench, and adjusted the brake switch and off it went. The switch part that extends broke way, dried out most likely. I adjusted more to the pedal, and will live with that. Lucky me it was a two second repair, if not I remove the module, and order one.

Like said out of nowhere a 91corollabrake module decides to crumble

02 Corolla, the rubber pad that makes contact with the brake light switch fell off which leaves a gap allowing the switch to move that small distance and activate the brake light. The pad was about as thick as two pennies and that size diameter. Replaced it with a self stick plastic pad about the same thickness. Working so far.