Broken Plugs - Detonation?

I have a 2005 S model, 1ZZFE engine that was seized and replaced in July. The head was inspected and deemed undamaged and re-used with a new 1ZZFE block from an engine builder that was bored 0.020 oversized with 0.50mm pistons to fit the new cylinder diameter. At the time, the dealer performed a valve job as well as replaced the spark plugs, thermostat, water pump and serpentine belt. I picked up the car and less than 4 hours later the engine suffered severe failure again. The dealer found that 3 of the 4 plugs were missing all or parts of the side electrodes and were severely "burned" around the edges. One of the piston heads also has a piece missing as well as scoring and gouging in the cylinder wall. Any thoughts on the cause? Thanks.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Wow! What a disaster. Sorry this happened to you. With so many repairs being done it could be so many things that could have gone wrong, so it's impossible to diagnose over the Internet. The good thing is that whatever went wrong is the dealer Service Departments fault so they have to repair it at no charge to you.

Good luck with it and welcome aboard! :)

Scott,
Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately the short block was built by another party, the dealer did all the rest of the service work but only installed the new block. The challenge I am having is it sure looks like detonation/pre-ignition but that is not something that can ever be 100% proven.

The best I can do is piece together the evidence and try to rule out either party. The best guess I have so far is that the short block really could not cause the damage that we found when the engine was disassembled. I cant think if any cause of detonation/pre-ignition that would be caused by the short block and the failure occurred in the cylinder head. Needless to say both parties involved think the other is at fault. I'm at a loss so I figured maybe others had some ideas or opinions they might be willing to share. Thanks.