Can you really tell difference from Eco to LE?

Hi,

I am seriously considering purchasing the 2015 Corolla in either the ECO trim or the LE Premium. I was wondering if the ECO with the 8 more HP at 140 is noticeable at all from the LE with the 132hp??

Thanks!
Michael in NJ

. I was wondering if the ECO with the 8 more HP at 140 is noticeable at all from the LE with the 132hp??
I have had the LE Eco base for 20 months so I only remember from trying both models (what you should do !) when buying the car and my answer would be no.
Better MPG though (easily more than 50 on highway at 70 mph, where the Valvematic really shines). Eco + (with bigger wheels) would be slightly worst.
See if a few mpg worth it to you (easier choice in Canada where gas is much more expensive than in US).
Actually, I chose LE Eco mainly because of equipment combination (our trims are different than US), fuel economy being a bonus.
The car have been absolutely trouble free so far.

At least some Eco models have been recalled due to the valvematic control either being defective or needing a software update. A few people on corolla forums have reported this failure. I no longer own my Eco but received a letter last week to bring the car in for service. The OP might want to take that into consideration and be sure if he purchases rthe Eco that the update / repair has been performed on his particular vehicle. And no, I do not believe you can detect a difference in power between the two vehicles, but the Eco WILL deliver stronger fuel economy as noted above

At least some Eco models have been recalled due to the valvematic control either being defective or needing a software update. A few people on corolla forums have reported this failure. I no longer own my Eco but received a letter last week to bring the car in for service. The OP might want to take that into consideration and be sure if he purchases rthe Eco that the update / repair has been performed on his particular vehicle.
Any details ? Would that be some random production glitch affecting only some vehicles (like the wiper switch) or a more general situation ? There is no mention of anything (other than the wiper switch) on the Transport Canada site and I haven't encountered any mention on forums (I don't read everything either !). As I mentioned, mine has been A1 trouble free and if Valvematic is new to NA, Toyota has been producing it for 8 years in other markets.

I don't know. Since I sold the car, I didn't read the recall notice very carefully, but it definitely affected my VIN number. If the valvematic fails, you are stuck until its fixed, of course you have free roadside assistance. I believe the mentions I saw of it were on toyotanation's own forum. Its about 1 2k repair out of warranty. Mine was a 2014, so its possible the problem was corrected on later units. I never had an issue with mine either. I didn't realize until after I bought the car it was a separate module, not just some software programmed into the ECU.

How are you calculating your fuel economy. With the Eco being rated only 2mpg higher than the standard LE and 3 more than the S, I have a hard time understanding how you calculated that your Eco is getting a full 10mpg above EPA estimates.

How are you calculating your fuel economy. With the Eco being rated only 2mpg higher than the standard LE and 3 more than the S, I have a hard time understanding how you calculated that your Eco is getting a full 10mpg above EPA estimates.
The regular way (Filling – Odometer reading – Filling – Gas needed / distance drived)...

EPAs ratings are good for comparison as all car are tested the same way (well... except if you are Ford or Hyundai/Kia and got catch) but no one should expect his/her car to give the exact same output.

As dlayman said, "conservative driving does the trick" (and that doesn't mean being a mobile speed bump !) :a friend of mine bought a LE and is also doing much better than EPA but less than my Eco (or take Corolla Cop, above with his S).

On the other hand, you'll also find people complaining on forums about getting only 25 mpg. They generally are the ones also complaining about the drone effect in CVTs, an indication of their style of driving.

i just bought a 2015 s model in the corola. it is an eco. i am getting 32 to 35 city and up to 40 on highway. it is fun to drive and has excelant power. I love so far had only 2 months. they have came a long way with that car.

jerost

I concur with jolly on the mileage. On the highway, say at 65 mph with a favorable wind, I have gotten 50mph in my 2014 Eco on a 40-mile stretch. However, with total city driving in and around Boston, it plummets to 27 mph. My overall avg for recent tankfulls this summer has been 34-36 mpg and I'm tankful for that. By the way, I have about 18K miles on it now think it performs better now than the first few thousand miles.

i dont know about the le but i do like the eco on my corola s. that to me is great gas milage and u tell people and they seem impresse. i love it.

i dont know about the le but i do like the eco on my corola s. that to me is great gas milage and u tell people and they seem impresse. i love it.
Actually, we will probably never know an exact difference in MPG between Eco version and others as MPG has as much to do with driving style/conditions than the car itself.
I'm no "hyper-miler" but still a bit conservative driver and the economy of the Corolla, going with the flow of circulation, is great (would be even greater with both Valvematic for highway and hybrid for city !).

You can bet that there are Eco owners out there getting terrible MPG and LE/S getting stellar numbers. All we can say is that in similar tests (EPA), Eco does slightly better.
But tests conditions and real life are two different things and EPA ratings should be seen as nothing more than a general rank.

Medias don't help when they report about people suing and winning in court for "not getting marketed MPG economy numbers". There is always another fault underlying those situations.
Ford and Hyundai/Kia, for instance, were not respecting the test protocol and Honda had issue a recall to downgrade the electric motor power (via firmare) in Civic Hybrid because they used inappropriate batteries to sustain it (hum...).

At least some Eco models have been recalled due to the valvematic control either being defective or needing a software update. A few people on corolla forums have reported this failure. I no longer own my Eco but received a letter last week to bring the car in for service. The OP might want to take that into consideration and be sure if he purchases rthe Eco that the update / repair has been performed on his particular vehicle. And no, I do not believe you can detect a difference in power between the two vehicles, but the Eco WILL deliver stronger fuel economy as noted above
Also the valvematic Eco Corolla Burns a lot more oil than the regular one I don't see anybody mentioning about oil changes so many people are worried about gas miles and not cheap they want to be and save gas and they don't want to even change the oil on the thing every 10,000 or 15,000 miles which will totally kill the engine and make it make noise and sludge up like a lot of them are lots of these Corollas are terrible noisy because they don't change the oil I mean 5,000 miles with synthetic or 3,000 nonsynthetic