CEL Evap Code

MattH

My new beater passed inspection today after 1 bolt on the exhaust flange against the CAT was replaced because of a "leak". I picked it up and shortly after the CEL came on. I took it back to the garage and they ran diagnostics. It ran 4 evap codes, so we cleared it thinkin it might have something to do with the exhaust leak. It came on again on my way to get fuel. I noticed my fuel cap hissing as I unscrewed it from the neck. Anyone think the infamous charcoal canister needs to be replaced?

MattH

I talked to a buddy at Toyota today. He said it was 1 of 3 things. Minor hole in the filler neck, loose/bad gas cap, or canister. He said he wouldnt worry about it because it dosent affect performance. As bad as it sounds, if alittle fumes enter the enviroment, it wont be the first time its happened by me :) He said if it bothered me he could get it checked out for free.

Matt, if you can get this diagnosed for free I strongly advise you take advantage of that. Cars are virtually always a situation where if a repair or maintenance of any kind is not completed it will adversely affect another component of the car. Plus, having the annoying, "Check Engine", light on your dashboard turned off is very nice too. Further, if something else trips the check engine light to come on, but it's already on because of the current problem, then you wont be alerted to any new problems that can turn on the check engine light. This could leave you stranded alongside the road somewhere with very expensive to repair damage done to your Corolla.

Any Advance Auto Parts store will scan your Corolla's onboard computer for free and check for stored trouble codes. Depending on your states emissions laws, they may also be able to clear the codes and then if the new gas cap did the trick, the check engine light will now stay off.

MattH

I got it read the other day. Its throwing 2 codes.

1.) P0466
2.) P0240

Haven't checked the temperature of the CAT yet but its probably the o2 Sensor. As for the Evap Code, I might have someone look at it to diagnose it.