Change PCV Valve?

VytasB

I've looked online, but can't find a pic or anything about where the pcv valve is or how to replace it. you can buy the part online, so it has to be somewhere to be replaced right? anyone know?

Video - Replace PCV Valve of Toyota Corolla -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5M1LqIdca4

To test the PCV valve, shake it back and forth and listen for a rattling noise. If it rattles, it's still working, but if it doesn't, it's plugged. Many times the PCV valve can be re-used by cleaning it out with a spray can of carburetor cleaner, followed by rinsing it out with hot water, then air dry.

VytasB

the car has 137k on it. I was going to check it out mainly as preventative maintenance, but the car is idle a little rough at times. mainly when driving, and I come to a stop, the idle will dip down and then come back up. I just cleaned the MAF and TB earlier today, so I'll see how it runs tomorrow. The only thing I KNOW is on its way out is the serpentine belt, so I need to replace it soon, but would that affect idle like that?

No, the serpentine belt wont affect the engine idle. All it does is spin various pulleys that run your cars power steering, air conditioning, power steering, alternator, etc. If the serpentine belt has many cracks in it, it should be replaced before it breaks. I encourage you to spend a few extra dollars on a quality serpentine belt from NAPA, Gates, or your Toyota dealers Parts Department, instead of a cheap made in China belt that wont provide very long service. Call around to get the best pricing.

Do you know when the last time the spark plugs or spark plug wires were replaced? (if it has spark plug wires and isn't a direct fire system).

An uneven, or surging idle can be an indicator of fuel injectors that are having their spray pattern interrupted by carbon deposits and need cleaning with a fuel a good fuel additive. I offer the very effective fuel additive AMOIL P.i. Performance Improver. It can help smooth out the idle and restore fuel economy. in my own vehicle, I documented a 6 mpg fuel economy increase, which is saving me over $300 per year in fuel costs. I'll get you the lowest possible price. The link is below -

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ormance-improver-gasoline-additive/?zo=349698

Last edited:

VytasB

I have a Gates belt that needs to go in my Girl's Dodge Caliber, and I researched the belts before I bought that one. The price for a Gates belt for the Corolla is $20 at my local O'Reilly's.

I was thinking about spark plugs, but I'd switch them for NGK Iridiums, and at $10 a pop, I'm gonna have to wait a bit.

I ran seafoam through it when I first got it (one can through the vacuum line and one can in the gas tank). It runs a lot smoother since then, and with this last fill up I added ~6 oz of MMO. Thanks for the info on P.i. tho.

AMSOIL P.i. is more effective and has documented test results on how well it works.
I might be able to get you the NGK spark plugs at a lower price than you'd pay elsewhere.

Last edited:
For others looking for cost estimates and replacement part links on PCV replacement, see here:

carinorder.com

Enter the appropriate information (year, transmission, engine, etc.) and the enter the search query "PCV".