Changed My Oil To M1 HM

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
So about 3 days ago I changed my oil to m1 5w30 high milage full synthetic I had a bitch of a time because whoever did it before me tightened the filter on there like it was a lugnut. Besides that I was wondering what is a safe oci on these motors with that oil and also wondering how do ppl like this oil in these cars I have a newer car besides this and always use a cheap oil cus I have warranty and do not plan on keeping car so money saved is all I care for but as far as this rolla goes I am loving 30mpg average so I want to keep alive and have heard of these having piston ring problems and don't want it to get me

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Mobil 1, the second in synthetics, is an okay product, although much more pricey than AMSOIL synthetic motor oil and doesn't perform as well. Exxon/Mobil also doesn't support the forum here. Many are of the opinion that Mobil 1 is now merely a Group III, "synthetic oil", which is just a petroleum oil subjected to more refining, which falls considerably short of a true, high performance Group IV PAO based synthetic motor oil. Not all synthetic motor oils are the same, far from it.

The recommended drain interval should be listed on the side of the bottle, but that probably doesn't match the oil filter change interval, so you'll need to change the oil filter at standard intervals, adding to the cost and inconvenience.

The high oil consumption problems seem to be with the 1998-2002 Corolla's, so you with your car being a 1997, it should be fine.

Last edited:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
By the way, with any vehicle an extended drain interval synthetic oil like AMSOIL synthetic motor oil will save you money in reduced maintenance costs and improved fuel economy. It's the petroleum oils that are the expensive choice.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Please stop with all of your responses pure marketing every time post I read is some way to market an am soil product and honestly I have never been a fan of waiting for shipping and all that fun stuff so I will go with this it cost me a total of 23 dollars for 5 quart jug and puralator filter I don't plan to go any further than 10k miles no matter what just wondering what are ppls experience with it not once did ask how it compares with amsoil. And back to the comment I made about american I owned a 1997 Concorde that had the 3.3 and it went 30k miles on regular conventional oil with no change in performance I feel like the need of super religious oil changes is a lack of good engine design motors are getting weaker and are more needy of oil changes and take a guess what blew up in that car the trans that motor had another 150k in it easy my mechanic laughed at me when I told him about the oil he says with that motor as long as you add oil you could have gone another 20k I drove that car for a full two weeks with the trans in full limp mode meaning stuck in 2nd gear that kept the rpm at 4k at 40mph and never overheated once and never missed a beat she loved that dirty water have you ever tried killing a i6 jeep motor just by not changing oil ha that would take you to long those are good motors. The reason the oil industry always has to make steps forward is because engine design takes steps back with every new motor

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Longevity is not new cars goal power style and fun is reliability is really an afterthought that's why I trade in when 100k hits the style is old power is lower fun is gone and repairs are my problem so bye bye goes the car and a get a new one to beat the snot out of

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
You had discussed this with me and I was very, very surprised when you went with the second in synthetics, a product not as good can usually costs more to use than AMSOIL and Exxon/Mobil also doesn't even support this forum. Most of my folks receive their orders in about one day, not having to even leave the comfort of their home, fight traffic, pay for using gas at almost $4 a gallon, wait in lines at a discount store where you might get a, "have a nice day", from some kid at a cash register. :thumbdown: So, I was majorly surprised when you announced you went with the second in synthetics.

With Group III, "synthetic", motor oils, most people have no idea what they are really paying for and are victims of the big oil industries marketing departments, paying a premium price for their, "synthetic", oils, derived from petroleum crude oils. I feel sorry for folks who I feel have been deceived with this by the big oil industry. Petroleum based oil have a film strength of about 550 psi or so, whereas higher performing Group IV PAO based synthetic motor oils can have film strengths over 3,000 psi. Film strength is how much pressure it takes to force out a film of oil from between two pieces of metal, allowing metal-to-metal wear.

Last edited:

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
It would of cost me double to go with amsoil to end up going the same distance I still plan on using you trans fluid because you have best quality to price but I couldn't do it for oil I just don't feel comfy at 15grand on oil no matter the quality so I would have been wasting money abf like I have said it has used m1 its whole life and runs like a champ so why change to something more expensive and m1 full synthetic offers more than enough protection for the motor just wanted some feedback on it

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Okay Scott I love what you do here every forum should have someone like you I'm just not agreeing the marketing stand point of it. IDC what oil you use its not going to last 25k with the amount of track time that car sees

Last edited:
Street vehicles used for racing automatically have their warranties voided. So especially in that scenario, using a high performance synthetic oil only makes sense.

I provide accurate information and people can do with that as they wish. I support this forum with thousands of posts on technical issues, general information, videos on a wide range of topics and I help anyone and everyone that I am able to with my 30 years of experience in the automotive industry. When I joined this forum it was totally dead and I have busted my proverbial butt into making this a much bigger, more active forum and I feel the best Corolla forum on the Internet. I have spent countless hundreds of hours fighting the spammers who attempt to destroy this forum. That's not, "marketing", that's just being a decent person. I see no such support of this forum by the big oil company Exxon/Mobil or the mega-rich Walton's of Walmart. I suppose it's nice that the Walton's can purchase new Porsche's to add to their collection, more Learjets and condominiums in Aspen, Colorado, while shipping off millions of American jobs to China where Chinese citizens are brutalized at their manufacturing jobs Walmart shipped to China, being beaten and even killed by their lovely communist government while making made in China products. It must be really horrible for the Walton's to have to pay for all the maintenance and fuel for those Learjets and the punitive taxes in Aspen, Colorado, and the prices for Porsche parts? Eeek gads! :eek: It must be horrible being the Walton's!

Meanwhile, AMSOIL is an all made in the U.S.A. product supporting our American economy and thousands of American jobs, is superior to Mobil 1, usually costs less money and supports American small business, people like myself who in this Obama-nation economy are struggling to pay the rent and put food on the dinner table while the Walton's of Walmart ship millions of American jobs off to China while living a life of extreme luxury. Yeah, "marketing". Right. Whatever. :thumbdown:

Last edited:

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
I am liking it also makes car very quiet during cold start it doesn't really idle up as high as it did before. I don't have a tach so can't tell. Also no leaks or burning any oil going from a full life of conventional oil which was also Mobil 1 so no issues here

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
I have been checking the oil every day or two to look for any oil consumption and none that is noticeable and after 800 miles the oil still looks brand new. So I'm wondering if this engine even has a sludge or grime I guess 5k oci on m1 conventional keeps a clean motor