Check engine light, 2015 Corolla LE

Hello,

I recently experienced an issue, when I went to drive out of a parking spot, my 2015 Corolla LE kind of kicked/sputtered/jerked (I don't know how else to describe it) a little bit, and then the check engine light came on, and the TRC OFF light stayed illuminated. I've also noticed that cruise control has been disabled.

The car drives fine, except every once in a while it will still make that kick/sputter/jerk movement, where it kind of feels like the car is vibrating just a little while it's doing it. I have no loss of power or control or anything.

I have no other symptoms, the car drives fine otherwise. I've had no real problems or issues with it. I've followed the regular maintenance schedule pretty closely. The oil was okay and so was the air filter. It only has about 67,000 kilometers (about 41,000 miles) on it. I can't think of anything recently that happened to the car, other than hitting the occasional pot hole (no damage bad enough to lose a hub cap, bumper, or anything). I recently had a flat tire about a month ago, but that was because I picked something up off the road. I can't think of anything that would have happened that it should be giving me problems.

Does my problem sound like something that would be due to the recall? My vehicle was affected, but I have not yet taken it in to the dealership for the fix. I can't really afford a large out-of-pocket repair bill. The three year bumper-to-bumper warranty has passed, but there are a couple other things covered longer (powertrain?), and was just wondering what could be going on. If it is because of the recall, would I have to pay for the repair?

Chec engine light (CEL) may have a lot of causes from a simple untight gas cap or bad gas to more serious conditions. Traction control and cruise control off are often automatically associated but not necessarily related. You'd need to find what code, if any, the car computer is giving (via your own OBD reader if you have one or a mechanic). It may or may not be related to the CVT service campaign (the code would then be P2820). If so, another symptom may eventually be "limp mode" (the car limiting its speed, to avoid damage). Even if it ends being something else, you really should get the service campaign for the CVT done anyway. It's free, avoid further damage and, if required, provide for repair/replacement of the CVT.