Check Engine Light On - No Code Stored

So I brought in my 2005 Corolla a few weeks ago due to the check engine light being on(100,xxx miles). They said I needed an Air Induction Service and a Serpentine belt. Fine, spent the money and had it all done. A week after the repairs the check engine light came back on, so I brought the car back up there and they kept it for the whole day and said they couldn't figure out why the light came on and it wasn't storing a code so eventually they said the light turned off. Ok, so maybe there was something glitchy or something left over after their service that tripped it.

Now, about a week later, the check engine light came on again! I am about to call them up tomorrow and tell them how frustrated I am, anyone have any ideas on why the computer is not storing a code?

How hard should I push for them to fix it and if they can't to pay for the service from another shop??:thumbdown:

Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :)

Take your car to Advance Auto Parts or Autozone, (both would be a good idea), and they will scan your Corolla's onboard computer for free. See what they find, write down the trouble codes and get back with us here.

So I tightened the gas cap, it is always really easy to take off, and unhooked the battery for about 5 mins and the light is now off. I am going to try to replace the gas cap and see if that helps before anything else.

It may very well not be the gas cap. No need to toss away money on a gas cap. Again, Advance or Autozone will scan the computer for your for free and tell you what they find. Don't spend money you don't need to. There are Advance Auto Parts and Autzone stores all over the country and they are very likely near you.

Last edited:
I had the same issue, on my 03 corolla, it read so many codes, the guy told me it was most likely a gas cap. He told me to buy a new one and he would reset the code. He said if it was nt the gas cap the light would come back on in about a month or two. This was a year and a half ago !

Turns out it did store a code, but for some reason the mechanic told me there wasn't one. Ended up needing to replace a manifold gasket. No issues since then, but it has only been a few weeks.