CLUNKING NOISE DRIVER'S SIDE 2013 COROLLA LE

Just got this car a few months ago with 31,000 miles on it. It was fine and now the front end driver's side has a clunking noise when going over gravel or uneven pavement and steering column shakes a bit. My local mechanic said could be steering column but he could not replace it because of all the computer electronics that would need a Toyota computer to reset. I do not live near a Toyota dealer. Any ideas? Thanks.

seems like the mileage was fairly low...
and it is not likely something has worn out.

But that's not to say the PO didn't hit a curb or have some other impact
that could be culprit.

But I personally would be checking to be sure that all the suspension components
and hardware securing those are tight.

Because any clunking heard is likely something coming loose.
And tho' possibly a wear issue... not as likely.

I once bought a brand new car...
drove it two blocks from the dealership
and the wheel/tire fell off the car as I was driving that home.

Luckily I was not going very fast, because I had my wife and newborn son in the car with me.
The wheel/tire partially disconnected and stuffed up into the wheel well.
That cause alot of damage... and quite frankly scared my family to death.

Was found out later the the lower ball joint had come loose
and had separated causing the failure.

So make sure your suspension/hardware are secure.
Possibly your mechanic looking for what ails your car...
is looking for the wrong thing... in the wrong place.

Or even worse... is not qualified to make diagnosis to begin with.

Good luck, be safe

Hi and thank you for your help. I will have to drive 70 miles to a Toyota dealer and probably leave the car! The mechanics where I live (rurally) said it was the steering column but really found nothing else wrong in 2 hours! However, I think it has to do with the suspension or ball joints like you said and I will have it checked out again.

IMO... it probably needs an alignment service and probably hasn't been done since it was new.
Good chance the PO hit a curb and knocked the alignment out some.
It wouldn't necessarily need be from an accident or hard impact.
Light bumps into a curb can do it too.

Usually a qualified alignment tech will notice if a component is worn or loose
when they attempt to do the alignment.
I'm sure they would look for any possibilities... if you make mention of your steering vibration/feel.

I doubt the steering column is to blame for vibration or shudder felt thru the steering wheel.
Mostly because the steering is electronic and not mechanically driving the rack and pinion.
Tho' even electronically you could feel an undesirable feed back thru the S wheel.

I would lean more towards the plausibility of tire imbalance, loose or worn components
or a steering rack mis-alignment as being of fault.

The only complaint with the actual steering wheel/column that I've read...
is that it may not return to center, promptly, as it should.
And this issue is an electrical component failure or program setting fault requiring professional assistance.

Any noticeable or odd front tire wear ?

Last edited:
I got very very lucky. Went to Toyota 70 miles away and the job was going to cost $700. Since the car is fairly new they called Toyota and to my great surprise Toyota is covering most of the labor and the part! They agreed this should not have happened to a 2013 Corolla with 31,000 miles on it. I am very greatful because I did not have $700 plus (plus cabin filter is dirty, another $50+ bucks)! So this may help someone in the future, I will certainly let you know exactly which part is being replaced when they call me to come back! Thanks again for all your kind and helpful remarks.

good for you.

glad to hear you will have a safe ride once they've repaired it.

Let us know what that repair was.

Far as cabin fresh air filters... the dealership always tries to sell them
and claims they're most always needed.

Probably is true in your case.
But $ 50 to purchase and install one is ridiculous.

You can pick one of those up at Walmart (fram)
and swap them out easily by yourself.
Likely to save you lots of money on that.

Something to consider next round for sure.

Got the filter and installed it myself, just behind the glove box. The final diagnosis on the "clunking noise" was due to a faulty "steering shaft" which had to be ordered. It was replaced and the car is great now! My car had no recalls so I was very pleased when the Toyota dealer called Toyota Corporation and Toyota paid most of the cost, stating this should not have happened to such a new car! (Apparently this problem would have gotten worse with time and may have affected the ability to steer properly). Thanks again for your posts.

Also, the paper work says "Warranty", so perhaps it was covered under that. Paperwork also says
"Goodwill 20%-80% Split"! Toyota dealer is in Canton, Georgia, very nice people.

Got the filter and installed it myself, just behind the glove box. The final diagnosis on the "clunking noise" was due to a faulty "steering shaft" which had to be ordered. It was replaced and the car is great now! My car had no recalls so I was very pleased when the Toyota dealer called Toyota Corporation and Toyota paid most of the cost, stating this should not have happened to such a new car! (Apparently this problem would have gotten worse with time and may have affected the ability to steer properly). Thanks again for your posts.
cool you got that fresh air filter installed on your own.
I saw a thread once were someone paid $ 124 to a dealership for that service/part.
Highway robbery since they aren't expensive and most anyone can do it themselves.

Curious as to what fault was found/repaired with the steering shaft.
I'm not a trusting individual when a dealership claims to have replaced components.
I always demand that my faulty parts/components be returned to me, after repair is made,
so that I can scrutinize their work.

Got a picture of the Toyota receipt showing what parts were replaced ?
I don't have this concern currently... but it could be worth knowing about
if I one day had similar issue.

Hopefully this issue is just an isolated occurance.
But I'd be interested in knowing what actually was replaced.

cool you got that fresh air filter installed on your own.
I saw a thread once were someone paid $ 124 to a dealership for that service/part.
Highway robbery since they aren't expensive and most anyone can do it themselves.

Curious as to what fault was found/repaired with the steering shaft.
I'm not a trusting individual when a dealership claims to have replaced components.
I always demand that my faulty parts/components be returned to me, after repair is made,
so that I can scrutinize their work.

Got a picture of the Toyota receipt showing what parts were replaced ?
I don't have this concern currently... but it could be worth knowing about
if I one day had similar issue.

Hopefully this issue is just an isolated occurance.
But I'd be interested in knowing what actually was replaced.
DON'T HAVE ANYMORE INFORMATION, SORRY. They just said it was faulty and said it was under warranty. Who knows, but you have to trust someone and my car noise is gone!