clutch not engading

Okay -- heres the thing. i have a 99 toyota corolla VE 1.8L and we changed the clutch but not the flywheel, but the problem is that it will not go into gear. He did not change the flywheel. but the problem is that it is not releasing the clutch. We have bled it even vacuum bled it and still nothing (along with regular bleeding also)

we have also replace the master cylinder and the slave cylinder - just FYI

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be

thanks

Have you bleed the slave cylinder? I remember I had a 86 corolla and the washer on the slave piston went bad. Even after bleeding the clutch stop working after few shifts. First try to bleed the slave cylinder and try the gear if it stop working again check the rubber washer ring on the piston.

hello, yes we have bled it and even bench bled it. there was a bit of air in the master cylinder, but that is now gone. we replaced the master and slave cylinders and it still will not engage.

Ask someone to press the clutch pedal and you go down and check it the clutch fork is moving when someone is pressing the pedal. If not then remove the slave cylinder piston and check if the rubber ring is ok? I hope you lubricated the piston before inserting it.

we have been doing that. the clutch pedal is not soft. and i just check the rubber ring. the issue is that the piston is not releasing all the way... my other half wants to weld an extender rod to make it come out all the way (i dont think that is a good idea IMO)

at this point im not sure what to do about it

I think there is a adjuster connected to the fork and piston rod. Dont know if comes with this model or not.

Dont weld an extender rod.

If the clutch pedal is hard there is an issue inside the clutch plate. I am not an expert for the clutch job but I suspect something is wrong while you replace the clutch plate.

i agree about not welding something onto the rod. would it be something along the lines of him replacing the clutch and not the flywheel

No, its ok to replace just the clutch. Either the mounting of the clutch has some issue or the diaphragm spring. Open the clutch and the pressure plate and check why is it hard to press.