Common Suggestions for Engine Swaps

Hi, I am currently interested in replacing the 1zz-fe in my 2002 Corolla S with something more powerful.

The regular engine has a pretty powerful pull on first gear, but as soon as I hit around the 70 mph driving through the San Bernardino Pass (3000+ Feet in Elevation) on the Interstate 15, I suddenly realized the disadvantages of having a little fuel efficient engine.

I am not in a major rush, when it came to my California road trips, I merely just hugged the right lane when I felt that the engine refuses to go faster on 5th gear, since everyone else goes at 90 MPH or faster. My engine is starting to develop the oil burning issues, thats why I am interested in getting a used rebuilt engine, with more power of course.

I feel that within 5 years, something terrible will happen to the engine. And the only solution to that is to embark on a custom engine rebuild project and take my time with it.

I was scoping through ebay, craigslist, and junkyard websites, and noticed that the 200+ Horsepower Honda J30A1 V-6, used ones go between $500 to $1000. My idea was, buy the used motor, manually check the compression, rebuild it if necessary and reinstall with new head gaskets and seals, and drop it into the car.

I have seen Honda Civic hatchbacks with LS-2 Chevrolet Corvette motors fitted into them with radical modifications on their drivetrains and suspensions. If they can do it with enough time and money, why can't I?

And should I start looking for aftermarket radiators, lubrication systems, alternators, clutches and transmissions? Maybe a new customized differential to handle the additional power?

My main concern is effects on drivability. V-6's will add a couple of pounds to the front, and that means my new car will have a tendency to heavily understeer, as well as impaired braking. I drove V-6 FWD sedans before (1999 Chrysler Concorde, a 3.2L V-6), and they have lousy brakes and they DIVE HARD as I brake.

Update:

I just discovered that there is a smaller engine that produces around the 200 horsepower range.

I can purchase a K24A2 (used of course), from a Acura TSX (2004+) and throw it into my car. Price is between $1200 to $1800 on Ebay.

That may be more practical. It appears to have achieved higher displacement using a longer stroke (2.4L instead of 1.8L). However, I don't know of the dimensions between that and the 1ZZ-FE.

Horsepower, torque, and fuel economy are all comparable to the larger J30A1, however the HP and torque is achieved at higher revolutions if I am not mistaken.

That motor is considerably more expensive however :/

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
I have read that in California due to strict emissions laws, using any engine other than the original equipment engine is against state law and the car will not pass emissions testing.

Using a different manufacturers engine, such as a Honda engine in a Toyota will cause a myriad of engine mount, engine to transmission, cooling hose system, wiring harness, etc., etc., etc., problems and be extremely expensive with having to use custom fabricated parts for mounting the engine to the car and to the transmission, adapting the wiring harness, etc. This would be a major nightmare to undertake. Can't just install any old engine in any car. It's far, far more complex than that.

For the thousands and thousands of dollars it would take to do this conversion, it would be far simpler and cost much less money to simply purchase a different car.

Last edited: