Corolla Customization

Hi Guys, I am a toyota corolla owner from Pakistan. I own an Altis 1.6 (1ZR-FE) with ecomatic 4-speed transmission. Now I plan to change my transmission to cvt with paddle shift. So please any 1 could guide me through the parts details etc or any cautions. Thanks hoping for your response :p

Thomas

Wow, I'm not a car guy, but I would be surprised if that's even possible. My understanding is that the CVT is controlled by the computer, so if the computer in your car isn't programmed for it, will it work?

I guess it's possible that Toyota reuses the exact same code for every configuration of that model. After all, there was another user that added cruise control in a configuration that didn't come with it, by just plugging in the cruise control lever.

Wow, I'm not a car guy, but I would be surprised if that's even possible. My understanding is that the CVT is controlled by the computer, so if the computer in your car isn't programmed for it, will it work?

I guess it's possible that Toyota reuses the exact same code for every configuration of that model. After all, there was another user that added cruise control in a configuration that didn't come with it, by just plugging in the cruise control lever.
Well Thomas, the computer would be programmable as far as it is concerned. The real deal is if the mechanical part will fit or not.

Thomas

Well Thomas, the computer would be programmable as far as it is concerned. The real deal is if the mechanical part will fit or not.
There is some programming I would like to change in my car. Do you know how I can go about changing the code?

The paddle shifters are just psychological. There isn't a "gear" and only the S model (as far as I am aware) has the computer set up to mimick a 7 speed automatic (although it's still a CVT with no gears) so I wouldn't even waste your money TBH.

JesseG

I have to disagree, I think the CVTi-S in the Corolla S makes the car a lot more fun (if you want an auto not a manual). The paddle shifters I will admit aren't used a lot, but the 'Sport' mode setting is great. The car accelerates more aggressively and the steering is firmer. Yes the 'gears' are simulated but it takes away most of the CVT rubberband feel.

I have to disagree, I think the CVTi-S in the Corolla S makes the car a lot more fun (if you want an auto not a manual). The paddle shifters I will admit aren't used a lot, but the 'Sport' mode setting is great. The car accelerates more aggressively and the steering is firmer. Yes the 'gears' are simulated but it takes away most of the CVT rubberband feel.
But it has the same final drive ratio and everything else so it's still the same amount of slow and boring overall. Not worth the extra money for adding it on.

The paddle shifters are just psychological. There isn't a "gear" and only the S model (as far as I am aware) has the computer set up to mimick a 7 speed automatic (although it's still a CVT with no gears) so I wouldn't even waste your money TBH.
If the paddle shifters change the "gear" ratio of the CVT, then it is physical, not psychological. My guess is that the computer is the same between all the models, it just behaves different based on what's plugged into it. That's why someone was able to plug a cruise control shifter in his steering column on his base-model Corolla, and it just worked.

If the paddle shifters change the "gear" ratio of the CVT, then it is physical, not psychological. My guess is that the computer is the same between all the models, it just behaves different based on what's plugged into it. That's why someone was able to plug a cruise control shifter in his steering column on his base-model Corolla, and it just worked.
The gear ratios are the same... if you mean changing a gear then ok but the corollas don't have gears. It's a computer algorithm to mimick gears but there aren't gears. It's not physical because you're permanently in 1st gear basically. The only gear..
and most models have wiring from other models. If you swapped a steering wheel from a LE to an L I bet all the controls work. If you put fog lights in an L I bet there's a place down there to hook them up. That's common in many vehicles. I highly doubt installing paddle shifters will make it work like an S model though. That's a different story because it's a CVTi-S vs a CVT..

Actually, all Toyota's CVTs are called "CVTi-S" regardless of the model. It's a brand name standing for "intelligent shift", not sport. All have fake shift points for "sensation" (Toyota's own words) as many people still associate wrongly, by habit, "slipping", "rubber band" or "drone noise" to the fact that a CVT goes right to peak power without needing up/down in revs.If equipped with the paddle shifter option, you can get "personalized" sensation.

From a marketing point of view, it's a success but it goes at the cost of some of the efficiency inherent to a CVT without them. It's not invasive, though. The "sport mode" in the S model basically allow those shift points to occur at higher rpm, thus closer to what a CVT can do (and also modify resistance of the steering wheel). It's always tricky to speak of gears with a CVT. It has none. Not one, not 7, not even infinite. What it has is variable ratio between the configuration of the pulleys.

To answer the original question of the OP, at the cost of a CVT and the work involved, unless you have too much time on your own and enjoy a challenge, it would make more sense financially to take the hit in equity and get a new model.