Corolla XL 1994 Model Hard Starting

Corolla XL 1994 model hard starting
my corolla hard starting in the morning 9 -12 cranks before starting. This was new replace oil,spark plug,tension wire and fuel filter. but it same problems. Do you have any suggestion or idea to solve this kind of problem? Thank you Sirs!

Last edited:
Captain, I think our universal translater has crapped out, Scotty, what's wrong with the universal translater? I'm giving it all I've got captain.

Did you gap the plugs properly? What condition are the fuel injectors in?

Don't replace any more parts until you VERIFY that they are, in fact, faulty.

I think it is plugs properly, This is carburator type, It is good running condition.The dillema is Hard starting problem in the morning. Tnx for the advice Sir!

Last edited:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Having a hard start situation with an engine equipped with a carburetor, it could be a choke setting that isn't right or the carburetor may need rebuilding.

Ah, carburetor.

Let the engine get fully cold (3+) hours, and remove the air cleaner assembly and look at the choke plate. If it is fully open, then it is stuck. This could be due to grime or a faulty thermo servo (or even electric, depending on the car ... manual chokes went bye bye in the 60s and 70s and everthing was either electric or thermo spring).

If it is partly closed like it should be, check the fuel bowl, make sure it still has fuel in it. If it doesn't have fuel in it, then the seal for the accelerator pump has a leak, and it is causing the fuel bowl to empty out between starts.

Usually the above two are what cause hard start conditions while everything else is running fine (and since you only mentioned hard starting, I'm assuming that the idle and everything else is perfect the way it is).