Court Says Not So Fast With Those Red-Light Camera Tickets

Kev250R

This is my other car
I don't like them either. For a time the company I work for held a maintenance contract for those things. When they broke (or got run-over) we'd have to send someone out to fix them. The comments people would yell at us as they drove-by wasn't pretty :rolleyes:

Kevin

Kev250R

This is my other car
I get that (and remember, I live in CA) it just isn't right for people to take their frustrations out on the people who are just charged with fixing things they don't like.

Seems to be a common problem, at least around here. Last summer a mountain town I like to spend time at worked to re-pave one of the roads which leads to the town (Hwy 38 between Mentone and Big Bear), which meant portions of the road were limited to one lane and required waiting for a Pilot Car. I got stuck in that back-up once but didn't think much of it and I wasn't upset by it (I was towing so it gave me a chance to check the straps on my trailer). A friend who met me in-town later also got stuck in the back-up and over dinner I could tell he was generally upset by the constuction. I listened to his complaints then asked him when he would rather the road be re-paved? :laughing:

Kevin

This is bad news for tyranny and great news for freedom! :thumbup::clap::thumbup1::party:

http://watchdog.org/178057/changes-red-light-cameras/
All it says is that PRIVATE companies can't issue the resulting ticket. The GOVERNMENT and LAW ENFORCEMENT have to do it themselves and still have the right to do it.This really doesn't do anything increase our "freedom", IMO. I don't see a big victory here, other than getting a private concern out of the law enforcement business, which I will agree is a good thing. Keep law enforcement with the police, where it belongs, not with contractors who don't have to answer to anyone.

Also IMO these things stink and need to go - they are a safety hazard and repeatedly have been shown to cause significant accident rate increases when installed. I also question the legality of them based on one's right to face and question one's accuser or witness, but that premise hasn't held up well in court.

Kev250R

This is my other car
I've not gotten one but as I understand it you do have the option of saying it wasn't you. The court cannot compel you to tell them who it was if someone else were driving your car.

In any event, with the private companies getting-out of the game I'm thinking it won't be long before the cities drop them. Most don't have the budget to maintain them.

Kevin

I've not gotten one but as I understand it you do have the option of saying it wasn't you. The court cannot compel you to tell them who it was if someone else were driving your car.

In any event, with the private companies getting-out of the game I'm thinking it won't be long before the cities drop them. Most don't have the budget to maintain them.

Kevin
I haven't gotten one, but my Dad and my Sister have. They take a pretty good picture of you, so you can't say it wasn't you driving when you're clearly in the picture.

What's scary, is my Dad said a few people DUCKED through the red light, and they got away with the ticket because you couldn't see them in the photo nor the video.

So basically, you're encouraging people to run through a red light with their head down and not on the road...

I haven't gotten one, but my Dad and my Sister have. They take a pretty good picture of you, so you can't say it wasn't you driving when you're clearly in the picture.

What's scary, is my Dad said a few people DUCKED through the red light, and they got away with the ticket because you couldn't see them in the photo nor the video.

So basically, you're encouraging people to run through a red light with their head down and not on the road...
The one I got in DC didn't capture my face at all, just a clear image of the back of my car and license plate going through the red light. The documentation that came with it said I was responsible for the fine as I was the registered owner of the vehicle, and that if I was not the driver, I should either make sure the driver paid the fine or pay it myself and try to get re-embursed. They were pretty clear they didn't give a crap who was driving. Cameras are installed on a lot of lights in Pennsylvania, but I don't believe they are operating them yet.

Wow ... that's insane.

Here in SoCal they got the front and rear of the car (the front had a clear view of the driver ... unless he ducked) and 15 seconds of video feed.