Cranking But Won't Fire

My niece has a '94 Corolla that she says just died. I hate these kinds of descriptions. I towed it home and tried to start it. The engine did respond but it was slow and sluggish. Didn't even hint that it wanted to fire. I checked the battery and found that it was half low on fluid and the cores were nearly exposed. Ok, so that battery is trash. I have a spare battery that I charge overnight and hook it up. Response is a little better but no glimpse of wanting to fire. Last I tried jumping it with my recharged battery and cables to our Durango. Still better response but sister said it still wasn't sounding like it did before it died. Starter obviously is no issue since it turns over. If fuel was an issue, that wouldn't effect the rate of the engine turning over. The only thing I can think to check next is spark but still, weak spark should have much effect on the how the engine turns over. It just won't fire. Anyone have any suggestions? I know nothing about these cars, so that's why I'm asking you guys.

Thanks!