Cut Out The Cat From Exhaust

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Today was an interesting day in the morning I got out of work early and decided to change the oil I used m1 him 5w30 full synthetic and a Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter then decided to get around to fixing my exhaust it had 2 holes one at the flex pipe and at the flange after the cat. It ends up being to far gone to save and the guy says why don't you just cut it out. Because I don't have to pass emissions anymore. I also just put in new NGK wires a day before and also have brand new brakes as of Tuesday....... Since I was feeling all good I decided to see if I gained a little more pep from fixing the leaks and cutting out the cat and I could tell right away it threw me back in my seat when I floored it from 20 roll and pulled really hard thru the next gear.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
It's illegal to disable any emissions device on a vehicle that is registered for use on public roads. The fine is $4,500, 30 days in jail, or both. (just to let you know).

I did that once, but I had a guy make a bolt on by- pass in place of the cat. I was having trouble with it so I wanted to be sure, but it had an unintended effect, as soon as I put it on people stopped riding my bumper so I left it on. And yes it did haul ass too but didn't change the mileage.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Its also illegal to speed yet I guarantee you still do it and guess what I'm not paying no 600 buck for a new cat when it does nothing but clean air and rob power and when is the last time someone was arrested for cutting off there cat you would be surprised how many people do it.it makes a difference in the power big time now when I punch it she has a whole new attitude and it sounds real good

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Its also illegal to speed yet I guarantee you still do it and guess what I'm not paying no 600 buck for a new cat when it does nothing but clean air and rob power and when is the last time someone was arrested for cutting off there cat you would be surprised how many people do it.it makes a difference in the power big time now when I punch it she has a whole new attitude and it sounds real good
I'm a licensed state safety/emissions inspector. I'm quite familiar with the topic.

05corolla

Super Moderator
Don't care this is a forum filled with young adults we don't care about legal stuff my tints illegal and 3 years never been pulled over.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk Pro

Well most people do care about, "legal stuff", and other people. Not to advise someone that they run the risk of a $4,500 fine, 30 days in jail or both, wouldn't be very nice at all. In fact, that would be downright wrong.

and what about the shop that passes? they go by standards. worth losing the shop?
Well said Fishy!

Any auto center that passes a vehicle for inspection that has disabled emissions equipment runs the risk of thousands of dollars in fines, jail time and even having the auto center closed down, as you correctly noted! :thumbsup:

05corolla

Super Moderator
Cops don't have the time trust me my friends a state cop and you'd be surprised what he let's go

The original poster doesn't live in Michigan. They live in Massachusetts where annual state safety/emissions inspections are done, as they are in many states. During the inspection, vehicles are looked over closely to be sure they are in compliance and pass inspection. It has nothing at all to do with the police.

So I guess they should listen to me.:thumbsup:

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Okay so on a old race car with a cat if it rusted out and they are making a street rod do they not straight pipe it and Scott if you want to cry about federal law this and that then that's fine but I do not care and as far as the shop they do it all the time people have other things to worry about not a stupid law that is just put there to make more money and if you want turn me in lol want to know what the cops will say here okay who gives a f**k they have real crime to worry about.pot is federally illegal and yet Cali still smokes it and legalized it tell the fed govt to shove it were the sun don't shine. Cus they do what they can to screw us so I will do what I can to screw them

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Your a goon Scott lol I don't have to pass emissions they don't even check it I only have to pass safety even if they test my emissions and I faiil I can not be failed and that's not a issue I have many ppl I know that does state inspections and they really don't care and as far as police they would laugh. So go for it Scott turn me in and I can guarantee nothing will happen there is no way to prove I was the one who removed it they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt I know all about the law

carlile - By federal law they are supposed to. That doesn't make me a, "goon", thanks.:thumbsup::D:laughing:

Hey, please, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just telling you what the law is so you don't possibly get in serious trouble. Inspection stations can be, "raided", so to speak by state inspectors or even higher. A word to the wise.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
It is law that after a certain amount of years they can't test or fail you for emissions if your car is a certain amount of years old because it probably won't pass anyway. I was not killing the messenger I was fully aware what I was doing and the penalties but am not worried its a 97 corolla 1.8 and it has not tossed a code out at all runs amazing and has a lot more power for a lot less money........

It is law that after a certain amount of years they can't test or fail you for emissions if your car is a certain amount of years old because it probably won't pass anyway. I was not killing the messenger I was fully aware what I was doing and the penalties but am not worried its a 97 corolla 1.8 and it has not tossed a code out at all runs amazing and has a lot more power for a lot less money........
In california that still has to be smogged. The smog limit in california is 1975 or older... Just saying.

Don't care this is a forum filled with young adults we don't care about legal stuff my tints illegal and 3 years never been pulled over.

I'm 18 and I care about whether it is legal or not. I don't give cops any reason to pull me over just because I don't feel like dealing with BS.