cvt concern

ok, my baby is at 85 k (2015 s plus), the dealership said NOT to do a tranny fluid change but i likely will because i do A LOT of driving. i keep reading online that the cvt transmissions on the '14 and up corollas are going bad around 100k, is this factual or rumor? anyone have any experience? i have a warranty until 100k

jolly

i keep reading online that the cvt transmissions on the '14 and up corollas are going bad around 100k, is this factual or rumor?
"Online" is quite vast and generic. What are your sources ? Cases on forums are just that : cases on forums. With millions of units in circulation, it would require an awful lot of cases on forums to be relevant. Organizations that do compile significant data (Consumer Reports, TrueDelta, JD Power) absolutely don't show such a trend either for Corolla or CVT in general beside some notorious bad executions, mainly from Nissan-Jatco and GM-Fiat.

"Online" is quite vast and generic. What are your sources ? Cases on forums are just that : cases on forums. With millions of units in circulation, it would require an awful lot of cases on forums to be relevant. Organizations that do compile significant data (Consumer Reports, TrueDelta, JD Power) absolutely don't show such a trend either for Corolla or CVT in general beside some notorious bad executions, mainly from Nissan-Jatco and GM-Fiat.
very true..

ok, my baby is at 85 k (2015 s plus), the dealership said NOT to do a tranny fluid change but i likely will because i do A LOT of driving. i keep reading online that the cvt transmissions on the '14 and up corollas are going bad around 100k, is this factual or rumor? anyone have any experience? i have a warranty until 100k
For Corolla, you need to change the transmission fluid every 60000 miles. You also need to change the filter and clean the three magnets. “DNY automotive “channel shows the proper way to change the trans fluid.
Unfortunately, Toyota dealers technicians don’t know how to change the filter although their shop sells it. Yesterday, I asked to talk to one of their technicians and he assured me that it doesn’t have a filter

I had my CVT go out at 80,000 miles it is very true I had mine replaced but it really depends on how far you drive I travel a lot for work so mine went out pretty quick

jolly

I had my CVT go out at 80,000 miles it is very true I had mine replaced but it really depends on how far you drive I travel a lot for work so mine went out pretty quick
80K for a 4-5 years old car is not ‘’a lot’’. Sorry you were unlucky with the inevitable odd unit, as those CVT have been on the road for close to 10 years worldwide, without a surge in complaints or statistics. Word spread fast otherwise (think of first generation units by Nissan-Jatco or GM-Fiat). Had its firmware upgrade done (service campaign JSD)? Because it could have been covered if the malfunction was related.

yes I had the update done and a month after the car started shifting hard then I got in it one morning for work put it in reverse pressed the gas and the car didn't move the engine still revved but the car wouldn't move and it wouldn't go past 20 mph going straight
80K for a 4-5 years old car is not ‘’a lot’’. Sorry you were unlucky with the inevitable odd unit, as those CVT have been on the road for close to 10 years worldwide, without a surge in complaints or statistics. Word spread fast otherwise (think of first generation units by Nissan-Jatco or GM-Fiat). Had its firmware upgrade done (service campaign JSD)? Because it could have been covered if the malfunction was related.