cvt issue

forgive me if this was already anwsered.
i have a 2015 corolla s plus. just got her last month.
on small hills going down, but not all the time- or even steeper drops down hills, my car will jump to 2000 or 3000 rpms and stay there, almost like it’s stuck. it happened twice to me tonight, going down very small hills. thing is that the car was NOT in cruise control (i never use it).
is this normal for a cvt? automatic braking if you will. the car seems to do this randomly on hills. thanks

I’ve had the same thing happen not to long ago on this super steep hill a month ago. I switched it to sport mode and back to regular and it went away.

I have had this happen to me also. One of those WTF? moments.
Hasn’t done it in a long time now.
yeah, mine does it off and on. not all the time. i do wonder if it’s just the cvt braking thing happening. it’s like the car (computer system) doesn’t sense hills correctly or something lol.

OK. it’s normal, guys. called local toyota dealership service dept and the guy explained that even when the car is not in cruise, it will do this occasionally to slow itself down as the cvt will activate this feature when it picks up certain speeds : )

This is called engine braking. Many cars, not just Toyotas, have this feature. When going down a hill the transmission will choose a shorter gear so the engine will do most of the braking. It prevents the driver from riding the brakes the entire way down which can cause excessive wear and heat. The CVT does the same thing.

I drive a Rolla iM 2017, never had that happen but thanks for the FYI, before I WTF !

3ddie A.

Can I ask you guys about 1 product out there that am looking into getting for my 2017 Rolla iM ?
looking in to getting a DNA Motoring 3"ROUND TIP STAINLESS PERFORMANCE CATBACK EXHAUST
Any feed back guys ?

My other ? is, I am looking into getting a TRD AIR INTAKE HIGH PERFORMANCE COLD AIR INTAKE
will I gain HP or NOT, I heve the OEM paper filter on as of now.

Thanks
3ddie @.

I drive a Rolla iM 2017, never had that happen but thanks for the FYI, before I WTF !

3ddie A.

Can I ask you guys about 1 product out there that am looking into getting for my 2017 Rolla iM ?
looking in to getting a DNA Motoring 3"ROUND TIP STAINLESS PERFORMANCE CATBACK EXHAUST
Any feed back guys ?

My other ? is, I am looking into getting a TRD AIR INTAKE HIGH PERFORMANCE COLD AIR INTAKE
will I gain HP or NOT, I heve the OEM paper filter on as of now.

Thanks
3ddie @.
If you want to do any performance modifications I suggest you don't, or buy another car worth modifying for performance.

Modifying a corolla or iM to go fast is a waste of time and money. Just focus on looks. Or if you want exhaust noise just remove muffler or resonators. Don't spend money on a cat-back exhaust.

That's just my opinion.

Honestly if I mine was a manual transmission I would consider a supercharger.
I know it's a 2003 but it should work with our engines too. If Matt Farah said supercharged corolla is hella fun then it's probably worth it.