CVT swap with 4sp Auto

Hello All,

Was just thinking if there someone whose cvt went out early for whatever reason passed warranty wanted to swap with traditional Auto since it's probably waaay cheaper than current CVT. I'm assuming it would be easier to do than from cvt or auto to manual. Has anyone tried or considered such a move? Since the 4 sp auto has been around for ever, it has to be dirt cheap used with low mileage.

Probably possible, provided you also change the ECU. Size wise, first years 11th gen accommodate either. Not sure about how much you’d save, though…
Despite the horror stories, searching salvaged parts data-banks, both could be have for around $500 (Ex: 2014 4AT – 43K - $490 / 2014 CVT – 44K – $ 525).
Of course a newer salvaged CVT would cost more (Ex: 2017 CVT– 8K – $1,050). But so would a newer 4AT (Ex: 2015 4AT – 18K – $1,050).
Also to consider is the fact that, as time goes by, less and less low mileage salvage 4AT will be available but more and more CVTs.
(Examples from https://www.partshotlines.com/)

Did yours die or are you making the swap for a stronger unit? In prior posts you were considering some modifications for extra power. How did that go?

Mine din't die nor I'm having any issues with my CVT. In fact I think it's getting smoother as I rack up miles on it. I also drive very gently. Reason for this post was to find out if such replacement would be worth considering for the few unlucky ones that had cvt problems and are being quoted some ridiculous amount for a new unit. Just wanted to explore this option in order to help out those unfortunate few who don't have thousands of dollars for a new cvt. My car is still problem free. The only issue is a random dashboard squeak since about a year especially when temps change but that's not even a big deal.

That is good. I hope these CVTs work out for long term owners. Mine had what felt like a slipping in reverse at about 2k mileage, but it passed. Maybe just the belt seating. I still wish I had a clutch or a conventional auto.

That is good. I hope these CVTs work out for long term owners. Mine had what felt like a slipping in reverse at about 2k mileage, but it passed. Maybe just the belt seating. I still wish I had a clutch or a conventional auto.
Thx, well at least you'll get to experience a good quality CVT transmission and save on gas with this car. You can always get a stick when you decide it's time. I'll most likely save you from getting speeding, reckless driving tickets and you'll stay low on police's radar since they don't usually harass corolla drivers :) Not having to worry about maintenance and just how cheap this car is to own, maintain is a huge plus. You can invest that money rather than spend on gas guzzling v6 or v8 and higher maintenance costs associated with larger cars, engines. I know I sound cheap but that's how you get ahead. Less gas per yeah, arab princes not profiting as much, eff them. I know it doesn't sound like much but if more people started driving economy cars you're not aiding arab money and fracking which pollutes our US of A. I rather have an affordable vehicle and have plenty of cabbage than a nice car and no money. You would be surprised how many merc, bmw drivers are effin broke cause they want to show off, good luck with that!

Last edited: