CVT vs Tire Size

I have heard mixed opinions on changing tire sizes with the CVT transmission. I have heard that it uses the wheel speed to sense for the CVT.

Is there any truth to this? and how sensitive is it to tire size changes?

I'd like to go from the OEM 17's to a 195/65/15 which would be a very small change in overall diameter.

Any advice?

Last edited:

jolly

It's not a "CVT" thing, it's a "any transmission" thing and it's about extra strain caused by bigger/heavier wheels. More directly, a difference in diameter would also affect readings from ABS, TC and speedometer sensors. In your case, it's not even an issue since the Corolla is engineered to work with both your sizes (depending on models, it already comes with the 15-16-17"). You'll even gain a slightly better ride comfort and MPG with the 15" !

Thats what I thought as well, but I had someone selling tires tell me that the CVT senses when to "shift" by wheel speed, and if you are too far off on overall diameter, issues will arise.

Thanks for the reply!

I have heard mixed opinions on changing tire sizes with the CVT transmission. I have heard that it uses the wheel speed to sense for the CVT.

Is there any truth to this? and how sensitive is it to tire size changes?

I'd like to go from the OEM 17's to a 195/65/15 which would be a very small change in overall diameter.

Any advice?
There will be no issues doing this. In fact the OEM 215/45R17 is actually a little small in diameter compared to the 15" and 16" sizes used on some Corolla models.

195/65R15 25.0" Diameter
205/55R16 24.9"
215/45R17 24.6"
225/45R17 25.0" Proper 17" size for Corolla, comes OEM on Corolla iM
205/50R17 25.0" Optional 17" size or winter tire size