CVT

2015 Corolla S. I was I the highway, with the cruise on, about 70 mph. When coming down a hill or overpass, the trans acted like it was in neutral for about 5 seconds. RPMs went up to about 4500; it finally re-engaged. Is this normal? CVT Trans.

Thomas

It's engine breaking. With the CVT and computer control, I think it would be awesome if there was an option to have the break pedal actuate engine breaking sometimes rather than using the brake pads all the time. I'm not a big automotive guy, so I'm not sure if that would screw anything up mechanically, but I'm sure it could be programmed if Toyota tried.

So let me get this straight, at times, (not always), when I have the Cruise Control engaged and I am on the down side of an over pass or hill, the RPMs will go up to about 4500 RPMs, like the trans is in neutral, (the engine seems to be racing), and then when I get the bottom of the hill, or when the trans is ready, it re-engages, hence the RPMs come back down to normal. That being said, I was just up in Arkansas, on I-55 go over large hills, and on the way down the trans didn't do this, RPMs stayed down. And I did read that that car learns you driving style/habits conforms.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I would think the car would downshift for you then drop out of gear and be in N. goin down hill, what happens when you go up hill?

Thomas

So let me get this straight, at times, (not always), when I have the Cruise Control engaged and I am on the down side of an over pass or hill, the RPMs will go up to about 4500 RPMs, like the trans is in neutral, (the engine seems to be racing), and then when I get the bottom of the hill, or when the trans is ready, it re-engages, hence the RPMs come back down to normal. That being said, I was just up in Arkansas, on I-55 go over large hills, and on the way down the trans didn't do this, RPMs stayed down. And I did read that that car learns you driving style/habits conforms.
Yes, that is what happens in my car with cruise control on.