Dashboard Rattling Fix

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
A guy who I watch on YouTube called EricTheCarGuy uploaded a video today on how to fix dashboard rattles in a 2013 Rav4. I thought it might helps some of you guys here:

HanSolo

I just recently gave my Corolla to my mom, but even at 30k miles it really shocked me just how bad the rattles can get in these Corollas. The old Focus with 150k miles that got replaced OTOH had no rattles or squeaks as the build quality on the interior was impressive. In the Corolla, you can stop the rattle by holding your finger against the corner where the climate control box meets the dashboard on the driver side.

HanSolo....u just had to bring up that subject huh.......Lol.....ratlles in my 2015 S+ is my #1 COMPLAINT.

Let's see, back side of glove box squeak solved with lithium grease. Driver door panel backside- duct tape. Front right dash where it meets windshield, stuffed a dishrag in it, been there for 12k miles. Handhold above driver left shoulder, 3M double stick tape and felt used beneath table lamps. The worst was a rattle beneath the driver adj shoulder belt pivot point. There was a spot weld of 3 separate sheets of body metal that makes up the b pillar. I had to drill two 1/4 inch holes on top and bottom side of spot weld and screw in a couple body bolts to tame the noise. It worked but rather $hitty to have to go to this extreme on a new car ~= 1 year old.

Got another rattle next to the ac vent at the clock. I recently ordered a trim panel tool kit so I can attack this little gem. Most of the rattles come and go based on temperature swings and pavement quality so it was pointless to cry to the stealer ship. My 2003 mr2 and 2004 Corolla LE have much better interior build quality...

A guy who I watch on YouTube called EricTheCarGuy uploaded a video today on how to fix dashboard rattles in a 2013 Rav4. I thought it might helps some of you guys here:

Great video! and Thanks Ze! I like how Eric has to make several stabs at it (like me) before he attains 100% success.

It is definitely a process of elimination. I've found the headache is having to make repeated test drives. That typically takes more time than workbench modification time. But the result is worth it imo.

HanSolo

HanSolo....u just had to bring up that subject huh.......Lol.....ratlles in my 2015 S+ is my #1 COMPLAINT.

Let's see, back side of glove box squeak solved with lithium grease. Driver door panel backside- duct tape. Front right dash where it meets windshield, stuffed a dishrag in it, been there for 12k miles. Handhold above driver left shoulder, 3M double stick tape and felt used beneath table lamps. The worst was a rattle beneath the driver adj shoulder belt pivot point. There was a spot weld of 3 separate sheets of body metal that makes up the b pillar. I had to drill two 1/4 inch holes on top and bottom side of spot weld and screw in a couple body bolts to tame the noise. It worked but rather $hitty to have to go to this extreme on a new car ~= 1 year old.

Got another rattle next to the ac vent at the clock. I recently ordered a trim panel tool kit so I can attack this little gem. Most of the rattles come and go based on temperature swings and pavement quality so it was pointless to cry to the stealer ship. My 2003 mr2 and 2004 Corolla LE have much better interior build quality...
I have owned a LOT of cars from different brands and even my 2 Land Rovers did not have an interior fit and finish and build quality as poor as this Corolla. This was my very first Toyota product and they probably lost me for life. Even American cars built in the 80's didn't have F&F and build quality issues like this Corolla. I am not unique either as that is a common complaint this generation. I have rented lots of cars and the last generation Corolla I rented with 33k miles didn't have all these rattle and squeak issues. With how bad our roads are around here, it was sometimes enough to drive me crazy cruising down the interstate.

American cars were exceptionally bad about squeaky hard plastic. I haven't had any issues at all, 10k miles on my Corolla. If I start to have issues I'll just stick some paper in some cracks.

HanSolo

American cars were exceptionally bad about squeaky hard plastic. I haven't had any issues at all, 10k miles on my Corolla. If I start to have issues I'll just stick some paper in some cracks.
And imports are not immune to it. I think what has changed over the years is the demand by consumers for interior trim pieces to have a "tighter" appearance. This means less gaps. Tighter tolerances also means more parts that can rub or rattle as they rub each other over time. Ironically a friend has one of these new Camry V6's and his car rattles and squeaks almost as bad as my Corolla. He and his parents have been lifelong Toyota fans and I have never heard previous generation Camrys doing that when riding in them. Rattles I can handle, squeaks however drive me nuts.

The dash rattles on my Corolla, I just go drive my '84 Land Cruiser every so often and then I barely notice the rattle when I get back in the Corolla. It also feels like a rocket ship after driving my lifted wagon on mud terrains lol.

Another observation regarding rattles and squeaks....I'm not discounting the tire tread/ply construction influence. My S+ came with oem Firestone 740's. These tires ride very soft and luxurious imo, but the handling and wet traction was poor in my eyes. I changed to a full set of continental true contacts for mileage and better handling.

I was satisfied with crisp handling and great wet traction/braking but I lost out on the tread wear, and was disappointed with how much the ride firmed up. Pavement ripples and ridges get transmitted into the interior, thru the seats, dash, and steering wheel. Resonant buzzing at certain speeds is more prevalent than with the firestones. This generation Corolla is more "buzzy" than I expected (regardless of tire brand) which is contributing to a poor fit and finish perception. My 2004 LE and 2003 MR2 with the similar 1.8L motor are not as buzzy so it seems unique to this flavor of unibody. FWIW, I do like the rocket ship analogy!

As long as the stereo works, I'm good. But yes, I have an '17 LE and I'm surprised on the amount of rattles it has already. My '11 S didn't have any.

Oxxon

As long as the stereo works, I'm good. But yes, I have an '17 LE and I'm surprised on the amount of rattles it has already. My '11 S didn't have any.
I have a '17 SE and the rattle comes from the left side of the gauge cluster. It sounds like it is behind the dashboard while driving between 20 and 30 mph.

And imports are not immune to it. I think what has changed over the years is the demand by consumers for interior trim pieces to have a "tighter" appearance. This means less gaps. Tighter tolerances also means more parts that can rub or rattle as they rub each other over time. Ironically a friend has one of these new Camry V6's and his car rattles and squeaks almost as bad as my Corolla. He and his parents have been lifelong Toyota fans and I have never heard previous generation Camrys doing that when riding in them. Rattles I can handle, squeaks however drive me nuts.
Not to disagree, but in my experience the noisy interior of Corollas is a direct result of the reduction in fasteners used in recent years. compounded by the use of the low-grade plastics. Everything is now put together like some cheap snap-together toy, with the attendant lack of rigidity, so even minor vibrations become annoyingly evident.

As the imperative to keep these entry-level vehicles affordable in their intended markets becomes more urgent, the manufacturer is constantly seeking ways to cut costs, to the point where the Corolla has been systematically stripped of many of the qualities that made the model such a standout. Less sound absorption material, cheaper materials throughout, and even poor assembly of mechanicals. Ever had your rear wheel alignment checked? Mine is "way out of whack", according to the dealer, and there's nothing to be done about it. After buying nothing but Corollas for the past thirty-plus years and witnessing the long slide into mediocrity (and below), I think I'm done.